• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I like the smaller look and feel of flare side rangers =)

Gary DuBois

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 cubic inch
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31 inch
I looked at two 01 rangers both had 4.0 v6 sohc 4wd supercab automatics flare side bed - one was silver - one was deep wedgewood blue metalic / before i bought my 02 ranger fx4 off road for $10,500 =)

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
I had a step-side and liked the style. Mine was a '98 2 door with 3.0 and alot of miles so I replaced it with an '01 4 door straight bed. I was doing alot of house remodeling and the step side bed is a bit narrower which made carrying sheets of ply and drywall a bit less convenient.
But I''ve been looking for a replacement for my now rusty '01 and a stepside is on my list. I like the fact that the bed sides are fiberglass.

Gary DuBois

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 cubic inch
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31 inch
I had a step-side and liked the style. Mine was a '98 2 door with 3.0 and alot of miles so I replaced it with an '01 4 door straight bed. I was doing alot of house remodeling and the step side bed is a bit narrower which made carrying sheets of ply and drywall a bit less convenient.
But I''ve been looking for a replacement for my now rusty '01 and a stepside is on my list. I like the fact that the bed sides are fiberglass.
What did you like about your step sides style. Did your 98 have 4wd. What did you think of your 3.0 v6 engine. How do you like your '01 ranger does that ranger have the 4.0 v6 sohc and 4wd. Do you know how much narrower in inches your 98 flare side bed was to your 01 style side bed. What year do you want your replacement ranger to be that has a flare side bed have you looked on craigslist and carsforsale.com. Thats cool that the flare side bed sides are fiberglass =)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yup.....i like em too

i have a low rider 4x4 flareside stepside diesel.......

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yup.....i like em too

i have a low rider 4x4 flareside stepside diesel.......
Just because it has a Chevy power train and mirrors doesn't mean it is a stepside...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Just because it has a Chevy power train and mirrors doesn't mean it is a stepside...

its a square body.....

and has steps on the side.

if it were a duck...it would look like a mallard and quack alot.....but sound like a walrus if a walrus could quack. at least on tuesdays....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its a square body.....

and has steps on the side.

if it were a duck...it would look like a mallard and quack alot.....but sound like a walrus if a walrus could quack. at least on tuesdays....
Be serious, your truck is more of a platypus than a duck... :shok:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
hey.......great point....

its a Tasmanian ranger... brilliant.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
A reg cab ranger, flareside or otherwise, is very light in weight, almost 500 lbs less than a Mustang, about that much less than an extended cab. It offers better handling, parking, mileage, and even better acceleration
Flaresides old and new.jpg
I like that little Ranger for all of those reasons.

It will hold a sheet or two of plywood, just not flat on the bed floor: not so bad unless you are a full time carpenter.

It is a great courier and sporty too. the last of the breed. My buddy Dave still drives his. It's got a sweet little flathead V8.

The fiberglass fenders don't rust and continue looking good even in older years. The bed is still metal, but it weighs about 40 lbs less than its steel brothers: no big woof, but I'm of the opinion that lighter has its advantages, not for everyone, of course.

Last edited:

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
What did you like about your step sides style. Did your 98 have 4wd. What did you think of your 3.0 v6 engine. How do you like your '01 ranger does that ranger have the 4.0 v6 sohc and 4wd. Do you know how much narrower in inches your 98 flare side bed was to your 01 style side bed. What year do you want your replacement ranger to be that has a flare side bed have you looked on craigslist and carsforsale.com. Thats cool that the flare side bed sides are fiberglass =)
I've had 2 Rangers and 2 Mazdas, all 4WD. The stepside 98 Ranger and one of the Mazda trucks had 3.0 v6. I could tell the difference from the 4.0. Less torque and it dowshifted alot more going up hills.
The step side bed is about 4" narrower than the style side between the wheel wells. Not much but it matters when you need to carry 48" wide sheets of plywood or drywall.
I look on all sites for my area and have looked at 3 or 4 trucks so far. I really liked this red 01 step side. Low miles for the year and claimed to be rust free but when i inspected it it had a broken rear spring hanger and a rust hole in the frame and bed. Too bad.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i am cheating on bed size..... but i have mo wider axles. i like the cab size for tight quarter driving off road...

my primary need for a pickup is bed utility....i love the stepside look but loathe the stepside space.

you can put these stepsides on fleetsides with fullwidth axles and wider prerunner front fenders.... or make it a dually so you retain the bed space.

the regular setup is just too small for me.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
i am cheating on bed size..... but i have mo wider axles. i like the cab size for tight quarter driving off road...

my primary need for a pickup is bed utility....i love the stepside look but loathe the stepside space.

you can put these stepsides on fleetsides with fullwidth axles and wider prerunner front fenders.... or make it a dually so you retain the bed space.

the regular setup is just too small for me.
I haven't used a fleetside in years but aren't they also narrower than a sheet of plywood?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I bought a new Supercab Ranger Flareside in 2004- partly because I liked the looks better, mostly because I was going to put a fiberglass cap on it. When you look in the mirrors with a Flareside, you see what's behind you, with a Styleside, you see the side of your box and cap. Since Flareside boxes were discontinued by then, my 2011 was a Styleside. The Styleside was easier to wash and squeegee off. I had no trouble hauling plywood in the Flareside- I just left the rear window open, laid the plywood across the tailgate and bungeed the window down.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a new Supercab Ranger Flareside in 2004- partly because I liked the looks better, mostly because I was going to put a fiberglass cap on it. When you look in the mirrors with a Flareside, you see what's behind you, with a Styleside, you see the side of your box and cap. Since Flareside boxes were discontinued by then, my 2011 was a Styleside. The Styleside was easier to wash and squeegee off. I had no trouble hauling plywood in the Flareside- I just left the rear window open, laid the plywood across the tailgate and bungeed the window down.
Some guys have actually made a kind of rack to do just that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals