• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I Know its a GM but i need help.

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1978 Trans-am with the Pontiac 400 engine in it. It is the 220 horse version, the one with the 350 heads. I have several serious problems with it. The first and by far the worst is the car has started hesitating really bad when I step on the accelerator. It will surge a little then eventually start to slowly accelerate. My dad was telling me that it might be the distributor. Any ideas what could be causing the problem.

The second problem is that the carb keeps clogging. I changed the fuel filter twice now and these little chunks of gunk, that kinda look like rat turds, keep forming inside it and clogging the primary metering jets. Any idea where these particles could be coming from?

This car was given to me by my grand-father, and is kind of a family heirloom, when it isn't running right it is really depressing not only for me but for my family. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I say drop the fuel tank and rinse it out or possibly buy a new one depending on its condition. Replace plugs, points, wires, cap and rotor and check the timing.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
your rat turds in the fuel line could be the inside of a rubber fuel hose deteriorating.

Not sure where the fuel filter is on this beast, but I would replace any rubber hoses from the fuel filter to the carb.

Does this car have a mechanical fuel pump? the diaphragm might be deteriorating on it.. could be the cause of your hesitation..

AJ

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
your rat turds in the fuel line could be the inside of a rubber fuel hose deteriorating.

Not sure where the fuel filter is on this beast, but I would replace any rubber hoses from the fuel filter to the carb.

Does this car have a mechanical fuel pump? the diaphragm might be deteriorating on it.. could be the cause of your hesitation..

AJ
yes it has a mechanical pump. I replaced it about two years ago.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I say drop the fuel tank and rinse it out or possibly buy a new one depending on its condition. Replace plugs, points, wires, cap and rotor and check the timing.

AJ
+1, id also check your air fuel mixture, my 73 blazer had the same deal after i rebuild the holly on it yesterday and i had to adjust the airfuel mixture beacuse it would bog bad when trying to step on it. these other two guys nailed what i was going to say dead on:icon_thumby:

highwayman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a weak accelerator pump w/the carb. Dont forget there's a fuel filter at the carb itself. To replace the acc pump diaphram requires the top of the carb to be removed. That old Quadrajet should be a piece of cake for ssomeone a little familiar w/carbs.

mentalbreakdown00

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with everyone, replace all fuel filters in and out of carb, all rubber hoses, pump (even though it's "only" 2 yrs old), check float level, do tune-up, make sure timing is good with a vacuum gauge not a timing light. Then go from there, nice freebie though.

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with everyone, replace all fuel filters in and out of carb, all rubber hoses, pump (even though it's "only" 2 yrs old), check float level, do tune-up, make sure timing is good with a vacuum gauge not a timing light. Then go from there, nice freebie though.
I checked the pump already, i know it is getting older. :p.

I will have to start replacing those lines.

86_cookiemonster

MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
i think i fixed it, the Accelerator pump wasn't seated right.thank you for your help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals