• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have made my decision, but need a little help with backspacing

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Can you guys help me with backspacing and fitment for these wheels?

I've poked around the forum but still don't quite understand how to determine if these will work, so hopefully an expert can give me a definitive answer - I DO believe I have figured out that the bore will work, but backspacing is like another language to me. I'm planning on a 5/6 drop on my '04. Also any tire size help would be great.

THANKS GUYS!!!

Last edited:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Looking at the page you linked to, they state that they fit a 2004 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab Pickup RWD.

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Looking at the page you linked to, they state that they fit a 2004 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab Pickup RWD.
I'm worried about rubbing in the front with that backspacing - wasn't sure if I needed to have spacers ready when they get here, or wait and check.

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
The bolt dimension is right. I would wait until you get them and check, but it's looking like you'll need spacers. As for tire size, my 17s are 7.5 wide and I have 235 width. Just looking online it looks like people are using anywhere from 225 to 245 width and 30 to 45 sidewall. Can't wait to see the build.

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The bolt dimension is right. I would wait until you get them and check, but it's looking like you'll need spacers. As for tire size, my 17s are 7.5 wide and I have 235 width. Just looking online it looks like people are using anywhere from 225 to 245 width and 30 to 45 sidewall. Can't wait to see the build.
Thanks for the input.....unrelated, what year grille do you have?

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
I wonder if that would fit my '04.
Send a picture of the front, I’m not sure what a 2004 front grille looks like, it could fit but not sure.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wonder if that would fit my '04.
It should. 2004 was the last facelift for the Rangers. Bumpers changed, but everything else pretty much stayed the same. 2004-2010 shared the same headlights, header panel, and hood. Header panel is the part that the grille and headlights mount to.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back to the wheels, a backspacing of 4.54" = offset of 1mm. So, the wheel mounting surface is essentially centered in the outer barrel of the wheel. This can be confirmed here, where they list the same wheel size as "18X8 01mm".

An offset of 0 would be perfectly centered. With 1mm positive offset, it would push the wheel out away from the frame 1mm.
On an 18X8" wheel, I wouldn't expect any rubbing issues unless you choose a tire with massive sidewall. I run an 18X9" wheel and 245/35 tires on my truck with 4" of drop in front and don't have any issues. My wheel offsets are different than what you're considering, and I'm not quite as low but you can go fairly wide up front as long as you're not going too positive or negative with the offset.

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Back to the wheels, a backspacing of 4.54" = offset of 1mm. So, the wheel mounting surface is essentially centered in the outer barrel of the wheel. This can be confirmed here, where they list the same wheel size as "18X8 01mm".

An offset of 0 would be perfectly centered. With 1mm positive offset, it would push the wheel out away from the frame 1mm.
On an 18X8" wheel, I wouldn't expect any rubbing issues unless you choose a tire with massive sidewall. I run an 18X9" wheel and 245/35 tires on my truck with 4" of drop in front and don't have any issues. My wheel offsets are different than what you're considering, and I'm not quite as low but you can go fairly wide up front as long as you're not going too positive or negative with the offset.
Can you tell a large difference in your speedo? I'd like something at least in the back that keeps my speedo where it should be.

I was looking at 245/50/18 (rear) and 225/50/18 (front), but that still seems like a lot of sidewall. I DO plan on still using this as a truck to a certain extent, and roads aren't the best around here, but still....

MSGia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4, 5
Tire Size
Can you tell a large difference in your speedo? I'd like something at least in the back that keeps my speedo where it should be.

I was looking at 245/50/18 (rear) and 225/50/18 (front), but that still seems like a lot of sidewall. I DO plan on still using this as a truck to a certain extent, and roads aren't the best around here, but still....
That’s how I found out before I upgraded wheels and tires.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's in your tire size, not wheel size. To keep speedo the same you need to keep outside diameter the same. That said it might be a little difficult to do with a 5/6 drop, or it might not be difficult at all. I have no idea what size a 2wd would come with stock or how much clearance you have to lower.

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
That's in your tire size, not wheel size. To keep speedo the same you need to keep outside diameter the same. That said it might be a little difficult to do with a 5/6 drop, or it might not be difficult at all. I have no idea what size a 2wd would come with stock or how much clearance you have to lower.
225/70/15 is stock - I've ran the numbers and measured on the truck - going to be close to run the stock wheels in the winter - may have to get smaller tires in the front too keep from rubbing.

paosgravity

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
That’s how I found out before I upgraded wheels and tires.
Thanks man!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals