• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have had a bad week

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
After hitting the biggest doe I have ever seen in my 88 drop top mustang and taking out the complete drivers side along with bending the windshield frame back 7 inches than 2 days later having the manual trans in my 94 2x4 4.0 ranger seize up going down the interstate im left with my gas guzzling suburban to drive 180 miles back and forth to work each day.

With that being said what does it take to drop the 2.3 into the ranger. I was planning on converting the stang over to carburetor due to the 5800rpm built in rev limiter ( I rebuilt the motor over the winter with a very stout bottom end along with full balancing and head porting so 7500 should not be an issue)
as far as motor mounts go they dont look the same at all so my question is what do ya do for mounts. I called ford and the factory stuff is obsolete. does any body know what year mounts i can use so i can go pick a part shopping?

Thanks Bill

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
1st Welcome to TRS Bill!

What it will take is basically getting 2.3L Ranger parts and putting them into yours. You'll need the wiring harness out of a pre-96 2.3L Ranger, the computer (make sure if you go manual or automatic trans) engine mounts (get from a parts store, they don't cost much), trans mount. This is the main part of the swap. There will be other stuff needed and I'm sure you'll get other guys to fill those in.

As to the carb It will be hard to find a good rebuilt unit. Depending on what you want out of a carb Edlebrock makes a great 500CFM 2BBL.

This will get you started. Good luck!

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hate to hear you damaged such a classic car. I had a buddy who had his ranger basically totaled when a 8 point run into the right side of his truck while driving home one day. It hit hard enough to bust the front tire and basically ripped the whole right side of the truck off.. Unbelievable how much damage an aminal can do.

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
As the local self serve junk yard only carries older stuff does anybody know what year frame and motor brackets will fit. As far as electrical I will convert the 4.0 stuff for alt ect.
I was not going to stay with fi and ecc-iv ignition but converting it to carb. and duraspark.

while doing research its my understanding that there is a problem with the stang/Thunderchicken serpentine drives hitting the sterring box any input on this?

I l;ive outside Omaha ne so there is not an abundance of these 4cyl trucks in the local self serve junk yards so if any one has the parts needed for this conversion I would rather give you guys what little money i have then someone else

Last edited:

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
BTW I plan on using the world class t5 out of the stang along with a 83-84 ranger external slave cylinder and building my own mounting bracket

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to be "Captian Obvious" here... but you have a wrecked 5 speed mustang.... and a perfectly good 5 speed ranger with a dead transmission....

the 5.0 Trans won't work on the 4.0....

Why don't you just V-8 swap the ranger??? I mean.... Seriously!?!?!

I think this could turn into a very good week!

My V-8 ranger with an Auto gets 19mpg without a problem on 4.10's doing 75mph. Rangers are light trucks, you can get decent MPG with a V-8 nursing one along.

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
Mainly because i have 1500.00 in the 2.3 build (that just finally got broke in) that gave stock 5.0's a run for there money and a car that's totaled that its in.I also have a Eaton m51 blower that was going to go into the stang this winter ( the tires on the stang are not winter tires by no means) so being a farther of 8 kids I am trying to work with what I have. And i am aware that the the t5 wont fit behind the 4.0

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
BTW its not a 5.0 stang its a 2.3

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
Exactly, my main concern is finding out what year motor mount/frame brackets will work so when I head to the junkyard thats 80 miles away in my 8mpg 472C.I. suburban to scavenge parts I know what to look for and what issues are there stang/thunderchicken serpentine brackets hitting the steering box

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly, my main concern is finding out what year motor mount/frame brackets will work so when I head to the junkyard thats 80 miles away in my 8mpg 472C.I. suburban to scavenge parts I know what to look for and what issues are there stang/thunderchicken serpentine brackets hitting the steering box
Since those rangers already came with a version of the 2.3, I'd imagine you could probably measure your front dress with the engine out of the Mustang and then compare when you are at the yard to ensure you are clear.

wlabrum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
undermined as yet
Transmission
Manual
I am assuming you talking about the serp drive. that I will figure out but i need to have it on mounts so i can see what interferes. The main question i have is from when to from what year to what year did they use the same k member as the 94 2 wheel drive.

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Well I looked in my LMC catalog hoping to give you an answer. It doesnt list the K member but just about all the other 2wd suspension components seems to be grouped together from 89 through 97. Just go to LMCs website and look at the pics yourself to dermine for sure. The front suspension is page 112 in my book. Maybe one of the parts counter guys that hang around here can tell you for sure.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
sorry to hear... good luck with this build. you should start a build thread.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would it be easier to find another trans for the Ranger?

I have had good luck hunting at the yards at 60th and Harrison, the northern one is my favorite, but like you said most stuff is '92 and older.

Engine mounts look the same from 88-97 so that should give a nice span to look for.

You will probably have to drill new holes but I wouldn't worry about switching crossmembers. I know they changed them between 4wd and 2wd but aside from possibly the mounting holes they had no reason to change them between engines. They are both riveted and welded in, major PITA to switch. Most people go the other way, so there are probably builds on here about 4.0 swaps.

If the holes are different:

When I set my 302 in it was with the mounts mounted on the engine. Set it where I wanted it and marked it. Pulled the engine back up and took a plasma cutter (torch or cuttoff wheel with a drill would work too) and notched the holes about an 1-1/2 down (because the studs are at an angle on the 302) and then set everything back in. I installed with the trans attached too, makes it easier IMO. I have no idea how they compare with a 4cyl (either mustang or Ranger), but most people use convertable foxybody 5.0 mounts flipped side for side on V8 swaps... with a slot like mentioned above they work great.

Where are you at? I am in Red Oak.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals