• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I grew up in Anza Borrego, and in the Southwest deserts East of San Diego and North of the Mexican border. You can Walter or Billy Boy.

Billy Boy

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1988 Bronco II, it actually belongs to my 15 year old daughter. I had the engine sealed. Even after sealing the engine, I have a small leak, at the oil filter adapter. I do not know the Ford 2.9 L six cylinder engine. The leak is a combination of the bolt, for the adapter and the seal for the bolt. Parts do not exist or I can't find them. What can I do to stop the oil leak?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Must be talking about this... right below the RH exhaust manifold.

Screenshot (16).png

Funny kinda... My 86 service manual doesn't have a procedure for Removal or Installation. It does list a torque spec for the adapter bolt though... 20-40Nm (15-30lbft)... even that seems suspect to me.

Did you try a Dealer parts counter for seals?

If they're truly unavailable... you may end up having to make your own. They have kits to do so. I've never been to far into a 2.9L... I just bought a Bronco II with one so that will probably change soon enough.

There are others here that are pretty well versed in these 2.9L engines that will hopefully be of more help. Just let your question soak a bit...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hey Billy Boy how goes it?

What do you mean by having the engine "sealed"?

Most oil leaks are from a gasket or seal, or at worst, a crack.

I usually narrow it down by cleaning the area and running it to where its seeping out from, then go from there.

Also sometimes replacing the seal or gasket won't solve the problem. you cant just bolt em down, or hammer in a seal, they are delicate, and a gorilla job will mess them up before they're in. Also sometimes the store will sell an old seal that has sat on the shelf too long and gone bad.

My ranger leaks, but so little that I just live with it and check the oil lol

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The bolt in the center should have a copper washer on it and the base of the adapter uses an oring similar to the one on an oil filter. I've never used a torque wrench on the bolt but I'd go 30 lb/ft anyway. Just remember you're not tightening a lug nut, the bolt is a hollow tube. Also, keep in mind it's a 60's/70's European engine, if it leaks a little it's perfectly normal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals