• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I can take my radiator cap off right after a 30 min trip?!?

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drove for about a 30 minute trip today after changing my coolant and after coming back home I touched the top of my radiator cap and it is barely warm. So I go ahead and loosen it a bit and notice that it is not spraying all over like most cars would do. So I take the cap all the way off and look down into the radiator and see that the coolant is still full. (I am doing this while the truck is running btw) Top radiator hose is hot as it should be, and so is the bottom. Temperature guage is right in the middle also. Is this normal or whats the deal?:huh:

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also, the coolant in the reservoir tank doesent move. It stays at the "full cold" mark when the engine is either warm or cold. Like I said the temp guage reads right in the middle, but something doesent seem right to me.:icon_confused: Help!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
id start by replacing the radiator cap if it wasnt done already (they are cheap).

still, with a bad cap i would expect to find a low radiator or over-full over flow tank after a long drive....

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
still, with a bad cap i would expect to find a low radiator or over-full over flow tank after a long drive....
Thats what I thought. I cant believe that I can take the cap off of a completely warm engine and not have anything spray anywhere, yet the guage is right in the middle.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the reason it doesnt spray all over is because the system isnt holding pressure for one reason or another....we just have to find the leak.

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright, there is no water in the oil, and it is not a headgasket as there is no white smoke out the tailpipe, and with the cap off there is no air bubbling of the coolant. So could it be something as simple as a bad cap? What else could I look for?

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
do a compression test(kit is cheap from NAPA) pump it up to 16lbs and go hunting for the leak

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it could (and probably is) be as simple as a bad cap.

if a new cap doesnt fix it, have the system pressure tested and see where the pressure is going.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
While I'd probably replace the cap, just because, do you think that there may be a chance that you have an air bubble? Maybe in the heater core or lines?

Run the heater on full in the defrost position, and make sure you're getting HOT air.

-zz

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heater blows hot air. I got a cooling system pressure checker and hooked it up, pumped it to 16 lbs. and waited for about 20 minuntes. The guage never budged off of 16 and there were no leaks anywhere. Went out and bought a new cap installed it and went for a little drive. Same results. Im stumped.... something isnt right.:annoyed:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you got me then too. the only things that can cause a system not to build pressure is a leak, or not enough heat. you say the heater blows hot and the temp guage indicates normal temp., so it would seem the trucks warming up properly...and if theres no leaks then i dont know :dntknw:

sure you got the cap on all the way (second click)?

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you got me then too. the only things that can cause a system not to build pressure is a leak, or not enough heat. you say the heater blows hot and the temp guage indicates normal temp., so it would seem the trucks warming up properly...and if theres no leaks then i dont know :dntknw:

sure you got the cap on all the way (second click)?
Yep, the cap is on all the way. I did notice something weird btw..... half of the radiator is hotter than the other half. The hotter side is the side of the upper radiator hose.... I cant hold my hand on that side for too long. The cap side I can hold my hand on it forever. This indicate anything?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
hmm, hot and cold spots can indicate a plugged radiator or lack of flow (water pump)...but in either case the system should still build pressure from the heating of the coolant in the block...and either case would also cause overheating problems.

how many miles on your water pump?

crsevns90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
55,000 original miles on the truck and waterpump.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If your radiator cap is bad you probably won't overflow the surge tank unless you get it absurdly hot. What the cap pressure guards against is localized cavitation around the water pump impellers, which you won't be able to see. If it goes on long enough you'll get a water pump failure as the cavitation eats up the blades. You may also get pitting within the block around the cylinders which could eventually lead to an internal water leak.

If the rest of the system holds pressure, but you notice no pressure buildup as you heat up the engine, replace the cap. Keep in mind that when you refill the system there will always be some air trapped. It will take a few heating and cooling cycles to get the last of the air out from under the radiator's cap. Until that air is gone the cap won't really feel as hot as you'd expect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals