• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Huge homeowner's insurance increases

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Anyone else's homeowner's insurance policy up for renewal lately? I just got mine and about had a stroke. It was $1644 last year, and that was up from $800 when I bought my house in '15 so I thought it was bad enough... my new rate for '24 is $3378!!!!!

I just can't believe it. I asked my agent for quotes from other companies - they work with a bunch of them and have no preference - she said they have been swamped with my type of request, apparently a lot of the insurance companies have dropped huge increases on their customers this year so it sounds like everyone is looking for something cheaper.

Farmers is who I have now, FWIW. I had AAA before that and they were terrible to deal with, I will never go back to either of those companies.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Anyone else's homeowner's insurance policy up for renewal lately? I just got mine and about had a stroke. It was $1644 last year, and that was up from $800 when I bought my house in '15 so I thought it was bad enough... my new rate for '24 is $3378!!!!!

I just can't believe it. I asked my agent for quotes from other companies - they work with a bunch of them and have no preference - she said they have been swamped with my type of request, apparently a lot of the insurance companies have dropped huge increases on their customers this year so it sounds like everyone is looking for something cheaper.

Farmers is who I have now, FWIW. I had AAA before that and they were terrible to deal with, I will never go back to either of those companies.
Not yet but the year is young. The county just did a big property tax increase for this year.

And I agree about AAA. I was a premeir member with them for years and they left me hanging when my trailer needed towed. They were never all that great to work with for other things either. Needless to say, I'm no longer a member.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
We are getting ass raped on property tax too. I bought my house for $113k in 2015 and now the county thinks that it is worth 240k... My taxes were about $1200/year then and are now over $2100. My grandparents land in the same county, different city was always about $6000/year and it went up to $8000/year this year. Ridiculous for 20 acres with two mobile homes on it and no other improvements.

Fawking blue state migrants moving here are really hurting us. My family has been in the area for 5 generations now and it is really disheartening to hear my parents talk about needing to sell my grandparents land because the taxes are unaffordable.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
We are getting ass raped on property tax too. I bought my house for $113k in 2015 and now the county thinks that it is worth 240k... My taxes were about $1200/year then and are now over $2100. My grandparents land in the same county, different city was always about $6000/year and it went up to $8000/year this year. Ridiculous for 20 acres with two mobile homes on it and no other improvements.

Fawking blue state migrants moving here are really hurting us. My family has been in the area for 5 generations now and it is really disheartening to hear my parents talk about needing to sell my grandparents land because the taxes are unaffordable.
I never understood those people. The move out of state to where it's way better and vote and pitch a fit to have the very same things they moved away from implemented in their new state. PA is doing a bang up job of driving people away and doing the same crap that is proven to not be working in other states. The way things get done here was so backward to begin with and they just insist on making it worse!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Eff it. I think that I'll just move to Katmandu.

I'm tired of looking at the TV news
I'm tired of driving hard and paying dues
I figure, baby, I've got nothing to lose
I'm tired of being blue

That's why I'm going to Katmandu
Up to the mountains where I'm going to
If I ever get out of here
That's what I'm gonna do

. . . just as soon as I get new tires on the Exploder.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
County tax appraiser deemed my place is worth more so then the insurance co fell all over themselves getting an adjuster out.

Between the two of those clowns my mortgage went from $400/mo to $500/mo

And on a related note one of my sheds is in so good of shape insurance decided during their appraisal I need to get it knocked down by October next year.

But don't forget its worth more!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My mortgage was $760/mo when I bought my house. It crept up to $920 as of now... I'm guessing it will be about $1100 after this years taxes and IF I have no other choice than to keep Farmers. That is the dirty little secret about buying a house... they never tell you that your mortgage payments could damn near double in 9 years.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
I have a meme addressing this very thing but blue state Mods would have my ass in heartbeat

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I have a meme addressing this very thing but blue state Mods would have my ass in heartbeat
You're confused. Again.

Somehow you think because we prefer to minimize politics on the site that it's an issue between red state or blue state.

It's a truck forum. Focusing on that keeps the drama to a minimum.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
What does insurance have to do with Mortgage? Is your insurance paid through the Mortgage?

I am fortunate that my house is paid off, but I still have property tax to deal with. One good thing about CA is the property tax is limited to a maximum of 2% increase per year. I have owned my home since 1980 so the rate is reasonable.

My insurance co. is USAA and I have been with them a long time. So far, their rates have been reasonable. I know they are not taking on new homeowner customers in CA though because of all the fire claims. The few claims I have had with them were not a problem at all, but they were on my vehicles.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What does insurance have to do with Mortgage? Is your insurance paid through the Mortgage?
Some mortgages have property tax and insurance included in the mortgage payment via escrow.

Basically so they can protect their asset by knowing for sure the taxes get paid and it is insured how they want it insured. You can pick your insurance but it has to meet the lenders requirements.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My assesed value went up like 800 bucks,

I need to park more shit on my lawn

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Taxes/PMI/homeowners insurance is all paid through escrow until the house is paid off. Thus if your taxes or insurance dollar amount changes, so does your mortgage payment.

I apologize for the blue state rant but you must understand, these people come here and brag about how they sold a house in CA for $1.5mil, bought one here for $300k and now they have a fat savings account to retire on. I work with the public a lot, I hear this stuff straight from the horses's mouth...it's not some stupid hearsay anecdote. People have the right to move & live where they choose, never would I try to change that but something has to give. I'm pretty fortunate financially that I can afford this nonsense so far but a lot of people can't... where are people supposed to live if they can't afford to live anywhere?

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's not just home insurance. Vehicle insurance is shooting up too. Insurance for my Ranger went up 30% last year and another 5% just last month. (Six–month payments)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals