• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: replace valve cover gaskets, fuel rail gaskets and lower intake gaskets

ranger_gord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hence my motto there Gord, I'd rather do it twice and know what i've got, than to let them do it once and not have a clue. It seems no matter how much BS they talk at the counter, about 19.5 times out of 20 they immediately turn it over to the shop kid and turn em loose with only a minimal instruction. Anytime anyone I talk to mentions a "new" used vehicle(we alll drive a used car) my first advice(whether they asked for it or not) is to stop on the way home and get a repair manual

Thanks for the response. I meant 12 holes 6 of the two hole figure 8 o-rings. It that was a typo it was 6 and the lower side of the upper intake does not have groves for the neoprene figure eight o-ring. So I will be using the two fuel paper Felpro fuel rail gaskets.
Hell I can't get this thing to "reply" or to "quote"

Those figure-8 o-rings only have the groove on one side, the other surface is flat on the ones I've noted
Yeah they saw me coming. I had no where to work on it, I was renting a basement from an anal retentive scumlord whose 2013 Ram leaked all over the driveway, and she says I don’t want your two drops of oil on my driveway. She blamed my ranger for all the puddles on the driveway. I was waiting for wife to join me from Colorado to buy a place. When she got there, it was already too late. 😟. Now I am just trying to do the right thing. Thanks for the help and support too, Josh.
Brent

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 7FA902352B4C01: April 5th, 2021

ranger_gord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I completed the reassemble. I left the fuel pump relay out and cranked it for about 7 seconds to get oil flowing. Then I stopped and put the relay back in. I cranked and it fired right up. However, I didn’t want to leave it running in the attached garage (sinks up the place). I did however, put a fuel pressure gauge on the Fuel rail and noticed that I had approximately 38 psi. But...it didn’t hold pressure and fell back to zero. I checked my connections and did it again...same thing. 38 psi and as soon as I shut off the key it drops to zero. I checked and re-checked each step of the process and took my time. I listened to the fuel pump and I heard it make a low squeaking sound. It does its key on prime (38psi) then after 2 seconds it cuts out. Any thoughts? I am sunburnt and shut it down for today.
Thanks
Brent

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I believe that 38psi is within range for idling. if it is not holding pressure when you turn it off, likely it is a check valve in the fuel pump itself and will require a new pump to fix it. if you need to go that route, pull the bed. 6 bolts, three screws and unhook a wire harness for the tail lights. two people can easily lift it off, takes about 20 minutes total. and while y ou are in there, your filler neck is probably shot as well, that is a good time to replace it.

AJ

ranger_gord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I believe that 38psi is within range for idling. if it is not holding pressure when you turn it off, likely it is a check valve in the fuel pump itself and will require a new pump to fix it. if you need to go that route, pull the bed. 6 bolts, three screws and unhook a wire harness for the tail lights. two people can easily lift it off, takes about 20 minutes total. and while y ou are in there, your filler neck is probably shot as well, that is a good time to replace it.

AJ
I ran it today and it mostly smooth as silk. However I have a mysterious “oil” patten on my hood liner. Smells sort of sweet, but not really. Smells like AC but AC nice and cold. I had topped up the power steering reservoir but it doesn’t appear to be from that. And it continues...
I found the source, it is a leaky hose on the AC next to the expansion chamber. Crap.

ranger_gord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
AJ
I pulled my bed off to redo the filler hose. The shop who did the original work, had replaced my fuel pump (may be a bad one) and may have damaged the o-ring seal around the sending unit. I noticed when I got the truck back, it ran like crap and misfiring and I noticed a gas smell. This was the beginning of H-E-double hockey sticks about 1-1/2 years ago.
I found that the fuel filter was leaking on the engine side and the outlets were visible and shiny so they had worked on the fuel filter. Also When I first got it back, I couldn’t put gas in it even though it was almost 1/4 tank. I pulled the box off and the new filler tube was on but when I removed it, I found that they had cut off the inner tube of the filler and it had been folded back on itself. I used a hard plastic tube to force fuel in and also got a fuel can which would allow me to fill it slowly (hopefully the enclosed photo shows the fault). I replaced the filler tube (again) and since I thought they replaced fuel pump it should be fine. D’oh!

Attachments