• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to get out of a contract using 3 day law?

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my parents recently had some trees cut down and the guy left them, it did not say anywhere in the contract for clean up so thats fine. my parents decided it would be to much for them to clean up so they contacted the person again and signed a deal to have the mess cleaned up for $3000, that is alot of money for this, i could have it cleaned up for them in a weekend (thought that was the plan), i think they are getting a bad deal and want them to cancel it. you can cancel within 3 days with written notice however they signed a contract today and the guy is comming tomorrow. does the 3 day law only work with written notice or can i call him? he seems like a shady guy out for money, i dont think he is going to be nice about it.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im not sure about the specifics of the law but i would have it in writing so you would be able to prove it if you have to go to court.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Plus 3k is about right for the removal of three trees. The equipment they use isn't cheap.

I would call the guy and se if the "law" has to be involved. Tell him you can't afford it due to something else.

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Plus 3k is about right for the removal of three trees. The equipment they use isn't cheap.

I would call the guy and se if the "law" has to be involved. Tell him you can't afford it due to something else.
really 3k sounds about right? they allready cut them down and limbed them up, my parents allready paid them for that, now its just a pile of brush. im sorry if it sounds like im being an ass, im trying to be sincere. i was thinking of telling my parents to call and say somthing came up, they dont seem like they want to bother, i guess it is ultimatly their choice. it just is really bothering me.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
the three day law is for major purchases ,Car, Boat, stuff like that. a contract for services is dependent on what fine print is in it.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
There's usually a 3-day 'buyer's remorse' clause on most contracts over $500. See if the guy will back out gracefully with written notice, if not, you may need to have an attorney get his attention.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't believe they really paid 3 grand for someone to clean up trees.

rideon1200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, the 3 day right to cancel should be on all legal contracts. It gives the buyer 3 days to cancel with no penalty. With a service person who has to schedule a crew it is usually best to cancel before he shows up.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
really 3k sounds about right? they allready cut them down and limbed them up, my parents allready paid them for that, now its just a pile of brush. im sorry if it sounds like im being an ass, im trying to be sincere. i was thinking of telling my parents to call and say somthing came up, they dont seem like they want to bother, i guess it is ultimatly their choice. it just is really bothering me.
Oh ok. Three grand sounds right for the whole job. 3 grand on top of dropping them is excessive.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
give me 2 grand and i'll clean it up....:icon_thumby:
but really good luck with this hopefully the guy contracted won't cause a stink. Don't think court would be involved would seem to be stupid by the contractors point.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Your parents are getting ripped what kind of trees and how big I am sure the contractor cant hold your parents to the contract if they haven`t started the work yet dont pay them nothing and turn them away. Make the contractor sue if he want`s to be a dick. Get a signed/dated record from the contractor that you cancel the work order as verbal is just hearsay. If they do the work then yea the contract is binding but they dont have to let them on their property.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals