• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to combat frame rust?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The rust around here is like an alien life form, it eats everything and nothing seems to stop it.

94BonB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Por 15 it.. it will stop rust in its tracks and you will never have to worry about it again! enough said.

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Por 15 it.. it will stop rust in its tracks and you will never have to worry about it again! enough said.
How exactly does this stuff work? would i wire brush as much of the rust i can then apply it?.

01_ranger_4x4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
How exactly does this stuff work? would i wire brush as much of the rust i can then apply it?.
it actually adheres best to rust, the instructions tell you to get the loose rust off and clean the surface to be sure its clear of dirt and grease and you can brush, roll or spray it on. i brushed mine on my frame. one quart should do an entire frame.

Where is Por 15 sold and what's the best way to apply it??
any automotive paint supply store will have it. ive also seen it on ebay and other online stores. it costs about $40 a quart. just a word of warning, DO NOT get it on your hands, it really does take weeks to get off your skin. once the stuff cures onto the frame if its prepped right nothing short of a grinder or chisel will get it off, its tough stuff.

http://www.por15.com/

heres a little before and after from when i did my frame and suspension

Last edited:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You have to get ALL THE GREASE AND OIL OFF for it to stick.I used a wire brush and carb cleaner on the F-100 frame.
Knock the loose rust off with a wire brush and brush it on with some cheapy paint brushes.
Get some GOOD elbow length rubber gloves and have at it.Got mine on the ebay POR-15 site.

That looks awesome 01_ranger!
-

bullitproofranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
1.5 L
Transmission
Manual
what about taking an electric sander to the frame, cleaning all the rust off it, then taking truck bed coating like herculiner(like some one else suggested), I know it would be be a BIG P.I.A, but when would you ever need to do it again?

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
@01_ranger_4x4, did you cut out your rockers?

01_ranger_4x4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
@01_ranger_4x4, did you cut out your rockers?

you mean the openings in them? no that is what they looked like from the factory.

4DR99'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i got the por 15 in the mail tomorrow i'm going to wire brush as much of the loose rust off the frame as i can and apply it. it says i can put it right over flaking rust but i want to try and create a smooth surface so i don't have to use as much. that stuff ain't cheap!! and if i have any left i'm going to apply it to my rocker panels we'll see. yours came out nice boghog1!!!

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dip it out of the can with a small cup careful not to get any on the lip of the can where it seals back or the lid wont ever come back off.
Put what you dont use in the can in a gallon ziplock baggy (can and all,dont pour it in the baggy..lol) and store in the fridge.
It's not cheap because it works!

Southern_Trendkill

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1961, 2010
Make / Model
Mercury, Mitsub
Engine Size
144 "Thriftpower", 2.4 MIVEC
Transmission
Manual
thats gotta be good for the enviroment. i kno hydraulic fluid(atleast military grade) will not come off anything.
Especially uniforms. It never comes off. Not even if you say pretty please.

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I punch a hole with a nail (actually two) right in the top and cover with duct tape for pouring. also you should top coat POR because it does not like UV

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it actually adheres best to rust, the instructions tell you to get the loose rust off and clean the surface to be sure its clear of dirt and grease and you can brush, roll or spray it on. i brushed mine on my frame. one quart should do an entire frame.

any automotive paint supply store will have it. ive also seen it on ebay and other online stores. it costs about $40 a quart. just a word of warning, DO NOT get it on your hands, it really does take weeks to get off your skin. once the stuff cures onto the frame if its prepped right nothing short of a grinder or chisel will get it off, its tough stuff.

http://www.por15.com/

heres a little before and after from when i did my frame and suspension

That looks good. How did you prep the frame? Did you strip the factory coating off or use any of their Marine Clean or Metal Ready?

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Move to TX :icon_hornsup:. I was freaking out about all the rust thing y'all were talking about. I decided to replace my shocks. Just took a 3/8" handle to them - no problems. replaced all four in an hour.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals