• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How much to rebuild a FM 145?

hawncase

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
And is this trans worth rebuilding? And if not, what is a viable alternative? I'm not changing the engine, i can say that for sure...the little bugger rocks!

So about how much, you think?

Last edited:

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
when i bought my 85' it had a bad fm145 and my options were to swap it and hopefully find a good unit or rebuild. My former school teacher set me up with a place here in Denver called TranStar and I got a complete rebuild for 115$. that included gaskets, bearings ect. the only thing it didn't have was syncros and since mine were fine i left them. It is a goofy trans to rebuild and you would need access to a press and an assortment of bearing pullers/spliters.

With swaps there are alot of posibilities if you have a 2.8, 2.9 or 4.0. You would just have to get driveshafts shortened/lengthened ect.

If you do decide to rebuild, let me know - I have a ford service manual that has a 200 page break down of rebuilding a fm145.

hawncase

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, nice price on the rebuild! I doubt I could get it for that cheap around here...

I forgot to mention the trans is mated to a 2.9. I'll check around to see how much and post back later.

Thanks for the offer of the manual but no way I'm gonna try and learn trans repair as I go...the wife gets mad when I swear loudly in the garage.

Thanks, man!

hawncase

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Um...yeah...

The guy says that its going to be around 1500 for parts (if he can find them) and 600 for labor.

This is how they try to stick us in this part of the world I think.

Roberts67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
when i bought my 85' it had a bad fm145 and my options were to swap it and hopefully find a good unit or rebuild. My former school teacher set me up with a place here in Denver called TranStar and I got a complete rebuild for 115$. that included gaskets, bearings ect. the only thing it didn't have was syncros and since mine were fine i left them. It is a goofy trans to rebuild and you would need access to a press and an assortment of bearing pullers/spliters.

With swaps there are alot of posibilities if you have a 2.8, 2.9 or 4.0. You would just have to get driveshafts shortened/lengthened ect.

If you do decide to rebuild, let me know - I have a ford service manual that has a 200 page break down of rebuilding a fm145.
hi if you have that service manual could you e mail it to me @ Ramjet_5767@yahoo.com

Bowman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
BeaterMan:

If you still have that 200-page info on the FM145 rebuild, is there a way I could get a copy? Another guy (adsm08) mentioned putting something together, and I've responded to his post. Sounds like your 200-page info would be just the thing I need (unlike the guy above, I'd read the whole thinge before I ever started tearing into the tranny -- I've only removed the bell housing and the shift lever cover.

Thanks.

John

meavfp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Hey BeaterMan, I just signed up and was reading your post about having a manual for the fm145. If you get this and still have the manual I would like a copy for my rebuild. Thanks, Mike e-mail to: meavfp@netzero.com

pxbacher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Um...yeah...

The guy says that its going to be around 1500 for parts (if he can find them) and 600 for labor.
That's for a complete rebuild. Find a guy who will do an "as needed" rebuild. Problem is guys like that are harder to find and have to really know their sh*t else you end up with a "sort-of" rebuilt trans...

spitfireforme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello:
I am also fairly new around here and have been trying to get a copy of the fm145 rebuild manual from other threads on the Bronco II Corral but have been unsuccessful so far.
Would somebody that has this manual (BeaterMan or anybody that a got a copy from him) please email me a copy to spitfireforme@yahoo.com.
It would be greatly appreciated!

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If someone still has a copy of that FM145 manual, I would love a copy as well.

a31ford @ gmail.com (nuke the spaces).

Greg

monkstr6100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did anybody ever get a copy of that manual? About to tear mine apart as well. monkstr6100@yahoo.com if its still around. Thanks in advance

SAR_Bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking at rebuilding the FM145 in my 87' Bronco. By chance do you still have that Ford Manual for rebuilding this transmission? Any chance I can borrow it or buy it from you?

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual

Can you give me some more info on this? I have an 85 2.8L. What manual 4x4 transmissions will fit this configuration and what parts are needed for mating different year transmissions?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals