• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How Many Miles is Too Many Miles?

Marsellus_Wallace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi folks,

Long time lurker. TRS seems to be a great community and I wanted to introduce myself and solicit a few opinions about mileage. First things first though, Im a proud owner of a 1995 Ranger XLT ext cab 3.0 4wd 5 speed. I've had it for a little over a year and have come to enjoy it far more than I thought I would. It has about 175k on the odo shows great and drives ok (I need to rebuild the front end and replace a noisy throw out bearing) My truck is kind of like the kid that doesn't have natural talent or strength to be on the field with the team but he tries harder than everyone else and ends up punching above his weight, to mix sports metaphors. It's a good truck.

I have the opportunity to "upgrade" to a 2003 Ext cab XLT FX4. It is nicer in every way. Bigger 4.0 engine, 4.10s limited slip instead of my 3.73 open rear (The 3.73s are a shot in the taint to the poor 3.0 imho) cruise control, mach audio system, true IRS instead of TTB (which I prefer)- Here is the rub: the 03 has over 300k. Shows like it has 80k. No signs of trans issues or timing chain problems which are the first things I look for in rangers with the early SOHC 4.0. Oil changed every 3k and the trans fluid is a nice clear pink.

What do you guys think? How many miles is too many? Because of my job I won't be into the 03 for very much (less than 2k) but I KNOW it's an "I told you so" waiting to happen as soon as something goes out....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's only "too many" miles once rods are hanging out of the block.

Marsellus_Wallace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
True... True...

I suppose as long as the compression #s are good I can take a chance. It has brand new Firestone destinations on it too.

The distance between the earth and moon is about 240k. This thing is on it's way back.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

It's too bad these trucks can't talk because we might have a better idea of how they were treated. Aside from that...our experience and knowledge of these trucks is all we can really count on when buying them.

Aside from the timing chain issues the newer version of the 4.0 has, it is a better engine in many ways. I've only heard about it on here and have no idea if there is a way to tell that it is an issue...other than minor performance issues associated with a belt that is slightly out...but not even sure about that...

Others might be able to clue you in better...but that's all I've heard...

The newer Rangers seem to be built tough and meant to last...I took out a 2011 for a test drive recently (OK, I didn't actually drive it) with my brother and it was a fantastic riding and driving truck...if it weren't for the price tag I'd have it sitting in my driveway right now...

Marsellus_Wallace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the welcome Mark. TRS seems to be a fairly civil place compared to some forums out there.

I associate timing chain or guide issues with rattles on start up operation or any check engine lights that might indicate the timing is off due to a jumped tooth. I saw an 01 sport trac the other day with 118k, good miles for the year to be sure, but rattled like a SOB on start up. It was pretty neglected overall. The ranger im looking at has 0 odd noises. Im still having a hard time believing the trans hasent been rebuilt or replaced at 302k.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm sure you will find most people on here to be civil...there are still a few surly members but they mostly only jump on the repetitive posters...not that I blame them, actually...lol

Rattles might be a good way to determine that now that you mention it...my 2.3 has a belt and if that rattles you know there is a major problem...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals