• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do you figure out the engine year?

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
hey guys i picked up a 70's something 390cid from a buddy today for $40 and was planning to bebuild it then drop it into my B2 or a ranger, just wanted to know if any of you knew how to figure out the year of the engine?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
There's a date code cast into the block, heads and intake. It's a number/letter/number combo on what looks like a tag that's cast into the block. Good engines, but not a good choice for a V8 swap into a Ranger or Bronco II.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
thanks, why do you say its not a good choice for a swap into a ranger or Bronco II?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The FE engines are wide, heavy, expensive to build, lots of fabrication required - this is compared to a 302/351 Windsor. Even the block casting number on the FE's is something not really good to go on, too many sizes of motors used the same external pattern (where that casting number is found) and changed the internals.
Dave

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The FE engines are wide, heavy, expensive to build, lots of fabrication required - this is compared to a 302/351 Windsor. Even the block casting number on the FE's is something not really good to go on, too many sizes of motors used the same external pattern (where that casting number is found) and changed the internals.
Dave
wide and heavy ? Yea. Expensive to build ? No. A mildly built 390 will make 375-425 horses easily with the stock heads. All you need spend money on is the cam,valvetrain, intake and headers. And I wasn't refering him to the casting (engineering) numbers, but the date codes. Nothing misleading on the date codes.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info guys. i may be going a differnt rout after all, the 390 is a bit heavy and would take more work to make fit than i have time for at this point in time, i think i might try and trade it for a 302 or 351 w.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals