• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do I change the Extension Housing gasket?

RangerMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a leak on my transmission that I believe is coming from the extension housing gasket. Can anyone please tell me what the steps are to replace this gasket? Do I need to drain the transmission first? Do you have to remove the drive shaft? What tools will I need? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What transmission do you have? Manual or auto? 4x2 or 4x4?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
yes, you've gotta drain it and remove the driveshaft.

As well as remove the crossmember and the transmission mount.

AD

RangerMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks,

I have had two different people tell me that there is no gasket, just RTV sealer between the housing and transmission. When I look at mine, I can see a gasket that is sticking out from some of the edges. If there is a gasket, am I OK to put it back together with just the sealer?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
if there is a gasket available, i would use the gasket and the sealer, im not a big fan of r.t.v. by itself, in fact i like permatex #2 along with a gasket.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
most just use rtv on reassembly, though i do prefer a gasket...if the surfaces are nice and corrosion free i put em in dry.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is no gasket

the transmission is factory assembled with Permatex "Ultra" RTV, either grey or Black
(but any color that amuses you will do)

Gaskets are not needed on precisely machined surfaces

Sometimes even sealant isn't needed on precisely machined surfaces but it sure makes everyone involved more comfortable.

THE thing about sealants is surface preparation

As for the "leak" it's much mor elikely you overfilled the transmission and the oil is leaking onto the trans from ABOVE the rubber plugs, because the "vent" for the transmission is the tiny little "boot" where the shifter "stub lever" is...

and you are seeing oil at the natural drip point.

Asd for the rubber plugs you can forget to install them and it takes MONTHS for all the oil to leak ut of the trans because of where and how they are positioned.

Blaming them for the oil loss makes people feel better about neglecting their transmission for several years and then having it burn up.

Most transmissions are actually killed not by loss of oil but internal oil starvation of the "pocket bearing" which in turn MELTS the input gear and the heat generated in this type of even literally boils the ATF out of the transmission....

what most commonly causes this failure? people ignore a sloppy shifter and the little bits of plastic from the shifter pivot "springs" (what FORD calls the plastic pivot bushings) getting chewwed up by the gears and plugging the tiny oil feed holes to the pocket bearing.

If you take the transmission out, remove BOTH bearing retainers clean out the plastic junk, remove the "turbine" oil pump from the input shaft clean out the lastic chips from the feed holes, reassemble the trans properly (shim it a touch on the tight side)
then install a Hurst shifter the bastard would live forever...

Unless of course the operator was the kind of jackass who rides around wiht their hand resting on the shift lever causing the forks to wear out prematurely....

You've been told what the problem is by several people who know either accept the advice and knowledge or not, there is no gasket other than the one formed in place (from RTV ultra) during final assembly.

THe issues with RTV are either NOT cleaning the surfaces before application
(Brake cleaner and a fine wire brush gets the old RTV off)
or using way too much of it during assembly

AD

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Asd for the rubber plugs you can forget to install them and it takes MONTHS for all the oil to leak ut of the trans because of where and how they are positioned.
When I had mine rebuilt the guy put freeze plugs where the rubber plugs go. He told me mine had dried up and it had been leaking from there. I was there when he pulled the plug and there was no more than a cup of oil that came out and it was pure metallic.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
thats intresting that they dont use a gasket on the 2wd extention housing, yet there is indeed one on the 4x4 version between the extention and the transfer case, even though there is a cut out for drainage at the bottom of it.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
thats intresting that they dont use a gasket on the 2wd extention housing, yet there is indeed one on the 4x4 version between the extention and the transfer case, even though there is a cut out for drainage at the bottom of it.
Do you enjoy making pomegranite/watermelon comparisons?

We are talking about the extansion housing (aka "tailcone")
connection to the main transmission case.

the connection at the OTHER end of the 4x4 extension housing is another discussion, but technically speaking on a 4x4 Mazda trans the paper gasket doesn't actually seal anything.... there is a shaft seal in the back of the Mazda 4x4 trans and atleast theoretically that area between the trans and T-case is supposed to be dry.

However that little seal fails more often than not and THAt seal can dribble every drop of oil out the back through a drain "sipe" passage in the Tailcone-tcase gasket surface.

that can bleed all your oil overboard on a mazda trans without no outward sign that isn't masked by the normal trace leakage from above...

So I recommend using RTV between the trans to T-case surface with particular attention to sealing up that little vent sipe to prevent catastrophic oil lose for WHEN (not "if") that seal fails.

On my OWN trans I drilled and tapped (threaded) a hole in that little sipe groove and epoxied an aluminum screw in place and then using a single cut file cut that surface perfectly flat...

Previously I've had a welder put a blob of Aluminum there and cut it smooth.

But frankly a blob of silicone the size of half a peanut does the job...

AD

RangerMiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Well, I took a more thorough look at the transmission and I found where the leak was. It wasn't the extension housing gasket or the rail plugs. I found a small bolt that is on level with and an inch away from the larger fill bolt that was loose an leaking. It was loose enough I could turn it with my fingers. I tightened it down and the leak seams to have stopped. Fortunately, the leak was small. I checked the fill level and it was fine.

Thanks

Todd.owen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I can’t get mine to seal whatsoever. I used ultra black. Followed the instructions to a T and still cannot keep it from leaking. I’m 100% positive that it’s leaking from the tail housing in between where the tail housing and trans meet. And somehow it’s also leaking onto my driveshaft and being slung all over the place. Anyone’s input would be very appreciated! I’m sick and tired of trying to get it sealed and constantly having to fill up with gear oil

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals