• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How did you lift your 2WD?

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thinking of adding some inches to my 2000 2WD. I've never done a lift and am wondering what my best options are according to the more experienced folks. I'm about to replace some suspension parts (shocks, control arms, ball joints, etc) and figure it's reasonable to do the lift at the same time. I've read a bunch about t-bar lifts but that wouldn't apply for a 2WD, IIRC?

What did you do, how many inches, and howd it turn out?

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Here are 3 links to lifts, with the last one being the Torsion method. You can still perform this on a 2WD.

You can check out the knuckle/spindle lift. The first link shows the Superlift kit in its entirety, and the installation write-up.

Overall, the general consensus is:
1) Torsion bar lifts are great. It gives 1-2.5" additional lift, but at the expense of a much harsher ride. To some younger guys, it's not an issue. For some with back problems or harder offroad conditions, it's too hard and does not flex as much.

2) Torsion is one of the cheapest and most economical ways to lift and alter the stance of your truck. If you want quality, you'll have to pay more for it.

3.) Older spindle lift kits were prone to snapping. They have since revised the design and material. These are good and reliable now. In extremer offroad conditions, I personally might not trust it.

4.) A lot of people will do the SAS over the spindle kits. More people will do the torsion over the SAS. That just seems like the hierarchy of lift preferences on here.

5.) If you are going to go through that entire maintenance with BJ, shocks, etc; I'd go purchase the spindle kit for ease and minor playing. I don't know your financial situation though. You could buy used.

6.) If you want to dump a grand, go that. If you're young and cheap, go T-bar. It doesn't appear like you beat on your truck, or else you would have specified that in your OP, so no need to a Dixon Brothers or other racing setup.

7.) You've "never done a lift" before, so it you're mechanically capable but not formidably adept (SAS swap welding or rebuilding engines); go with the T-bar first and see how you like it. You can always upgrade later, but do the work twice with less money involved. ... If you're a good wrench with money and don't want to piss away your time a second time, go with a middle tier setup.

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/suspension-and-body-lifts/installing-a-superlift-kit-2001-ford-ranger/

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/suspension-and-body-lifts/lift-kit-providers-for-your-2wd-ford-ranger/

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/suspension-and-body-lifts/torsion-key-lifts-for-your-ford-ranger/

askthemasses

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great info, thanks. No tbar on mine so I'm leaning towards coil spacers and blocks- but I can't find any coil spacers that show compatibility. Why are so many compatible with standard cab but not extended cab? Should it really matter??

Ewgoetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great info, thanks. No tbar on mine so I'm leaning towards coil spacers and blocks- but I can't find any coil spacers that show compatibility. Why are so many compatible with standard cab but not extended cab? Should it really matter??

Personally I’d stay away from coil spacer lifts, they are usually harder to align and some shops might charge you a arm and a leg and say there’s not much they can do. Either go with a used front lift or spindle drop like mentioned above. You will get less headaches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals