• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Mileage Ranger Owners

mieze245

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good day,

I have acquired a 04 Ranger 4.0 XLT. 231k Miles. I was thinking of doing the timing chain, water pump, oil pump and rear main seal on it. I contacted my local mechanic and he flat out told me he would not do it that i would be better off dropping a reman engine in. I don't disagree with him, but funding is limited. I can do the work myself, but I am wanting to know if it is worth it, or will the heads be the next issue with it. Any 300-400K ranger owners out there?

Thank you,

J.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If youre not having issues with any of that stuff just leave it alone untill you do

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
I have 217k but its on the 3.0

I think you are safe and i would just drive and maintain. Someone should comment on the timing limits though. You have the newer 4.0 right? The one that the tensioners or something need to be done at each 100k mark, or something?

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can do the work myself, but I am wanting to know if it is worth it, or will the heads be the next issue with it. Any 300-400K ranger owners out there?
Are you prepared to pull the engine? You've basically got to do that to change the rear timing chain.

Far as I know, the SOHC doesn't have head issues like the earlier OHV that would crack them. I think your main concern on the SOHC is the timing chain tensioners.

I'd tend to agree with @rusty ol ranger, if you aren't having problems leave it alone. That said it is an interference engine, so I'd be extra wary of excessive chain noise or other timing related issues.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I rebuilt my 02 4.0 SOHC cam timing chain system at around 250K miles. My guides were still good (but brittle), and I had installed new tensioner at around 100K miles. By 04 I believe Ford had improved it to make it more durable.

You should consider installing new tensioners if not already done and forget doing the guides until you do get rattling. If the rear seal is leaking, replacing that is good. If the water pump is not leaking, run it until you see a leak.

I have over 295K miles on mine now and it runs as good as it did when new.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
I agree. My Ranger's engine had 278K before I started having timing chain issues. For the money you will spend doing all that to the original motor you can probably go with a reman and come out cheaper. You have to pull the engine to do the timing chains (well, you don't HAVE to but it's a lot easier) so you might be better off.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I have 258000 miles on mine, and I did the remanufactured motor. It had the cam chain guide noise, so I was pretty sure I had a broken guide. The reason I decided to get the remanned motor was because my sons told me that if I got the remanned motor, they could do the swap in a weekend. They have more experience and most of the needed tools and 21 years younger. they suggested replacing several of the needed parts that wear parts because it is a lot easier with motor out. Water pump, clutch and I got a aluminum thermostat housing. The remanned motor was $3800.00 through NAPA. Now I have a new motor. Another reason I decided to get the remanned motor is because I got the truck from a questionable small car lot, When I got it home I checked the oil and it was over full, my guess was they filled up to hide the rattle noise from the cam chain guide.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals