• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Hesitation problem

Dirt Squirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Transmission
Automatic
You said ported head, I figured it had a cam to match, sorry missed part about from stock 94 2.3.You still need vacuum to operate vacuum advance though. Check if advance works with vacuum tester like a mity vac set up, test vacuum at port on manifold with vacuum gauge. I have no idea of what reading should be. Maybe RonD. will chime in with specs. Fuel pressure is probably the issue. Need to check with gauge at all throttle positions. Again RonD or others will know correct specs. I'll just shut up for now.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
a bad accelerator pump can act like one set to rich, too. did you end up seeing the squirt into the venturi when you took the air cleaner off and look down the throat while pulling the throttle? check it with the truck off so you can see it easier.

how did you set time and how did you set the carb?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You do not need vacuum to operate "all" of the advance. You still have the centrifugal advance from the weights.

The vacuum advance is only for fuel mileage or engine efficiency. You do not need it for power. As was said, when the throttle is opened up, the vacuum goes to near zero and you have no vacuum advance, but you still have the weights in the distributor doing their thing. The vacuum advance advances the timing way beyond what the engine is spec'd for. When you are just using part throttle going down the road with hardly any load on the engine, you may be running near 50 degrees BTDC advance on the engine. When you nail the throttle, all this advance drops out and all you have is the initial you set with the timing light, plus whatever the centrifugal weights are giving you, with usually a total advance in the low 30's.

All that being said, it might be a interesting experiment to disconnect the vacuum advance to the engine and see if your bog is reduced or goes away.

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No problem, hopefully it's helpful. If you dial it in maybe I can pick up a couple tricks to try with mine! What are you using for jets, air correctors, etc.? And what was the original application for your carb? Also did you leave the PCV system intact?
Well, I cannot see any spray at all from the accelerator pump. Took it apart cleaned it and no change. Took the top off of the carb and found a lot of dirt and even a dead spider. I bought this carb on ebay from a company called All-State carburetor. So I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and blew it out best I could but pump is still a no go. Guess I have to rebuild it. One thing I did notice is that if I hold the choke butterfly partially shut and Rev it up it then revs better. I assume because it is not as lean.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have not taken your particular carb apart, but most carbs have two check valves in the accel pump system. I would bet one of them is missing in your carb.

For instance in the common 2150 Ford carb, it has the orange rubber check behind the accel pump diaphragm, and the other check drops in the discharge hole underneath the squirter nozzles. The one under the nozzle is easy to lose.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Just to the right of your photo is the little spritzer thingy. Did you pull that out and look it over? There’s a tiny hole in it that may be clogged. It should only have a hole on the primary side. It’s the same casting as used in a different carb that’s not progressive.

If you pull it off try the throttle again and if fuel comes up then you can expect the spritzer is clogged.

Otherwise there are some check balls in the carb, but I don’t remember if they were for the accelerator pump. If they were, and they were missing, then it would make the pump inoperable. I believe they’re covered in the manual in the link earlier.

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks, I will check it out. I still can't believe there was that much dirt in there. Must have been sitting a while. Not to mention the small spider in the bowl laying next to the H stamped in the bowl.
Thanks again

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Haha, hopefully he wasn't alive when you started it up and the bowl filled with fuel. What a way to go. Mine seems to collect silt as well, even through two fuel filters.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals