• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help Can't Pass Emissions

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Vehicle: 1997 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L, 2wd

This past summer I tore my timing belt. In the process of fixing the belt I replaced the water pump, thermostat, all 8 spark plugs and wires, the crankshaft position sensor and of course the timing belt. After trying and trying I couldn't get the belt on right and ended up dragging it to a shop. When I got it back it had a rough idle, and sputtered when it started to accelerate. The truck runs fine once it's moving and easily handle highway speeds.

Fast forward to now, to pass emissions I had to replace my EGR valve and sensor which I did, and took it in. Needless to say it failed and gave the code P0171, I looked it up and what ever causes that code is also related to the rough idle and sputtering. So to double check I pulled all my plugs and rechecked the gap. I have also cleaned my MAF sensor and it still idles rough.

Now on the sheet I got back from the testing facility it says all my system monitors are ready except for my Catalytic Converter EFF. however the code it gives has nothing to do with the cat, according to autozone the reasons for the code are as follows

Definition
Fuel trim bank one condition

Explanation
The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio of the engine, the computer has recognized a rich or lean condition on one engine bank only

1.If bank one and two codes set together suspect fuel preasure or MAF sensor

2.Oxygen Sensor Deffective(According to the emissions test results both O2 sensor are operating normally)

3. Ignition Missfire-repair(checked all the plugs and wires, which are only 4 months old, maybe 5,000 miles?)

4.Fuel Injector Problem (Put in some fuel system cleaner, which I have done before so i highly doubt its clogged)

Does any one have any insight on what might be wrong or what I should try I am beyond lost :icon_confused:

hartwrenches

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
won't pass

Your truck won't have a bank two ( other side of a V engine ). First check your vacuum lines for leaks, especialy the one that go's to the fuel pressure regulater. Then check fuel pressure, generaly anything over 35psi is fine. After checking for no vacuum leaks and good fuel pressure, make sure the IAC ( idle air control ) and MAS ( mass air flow sensor ) are both plugged in all the way, there's no wiring damage, and their both working properly.:icon_thumby:

A fuel filter and a few new lines might just fix it

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the only thing timing belt related I can think of is if the auxiliary pulley (on that year it just drives the oil pump and cam sensor) isn't aligned right and the cam sensor is off, the cam sensor drives the injection timing, on earlier engines it's alignment doesn't matter.

one thing to do to try to pass the emissions test is to run the engine HARD and for a few minutes before you go in for the test, this gets the cat lit off and converting more efficiently than if it was just sat and idled for a few minutes, hopefully you can get there when there isn't a line, cats will cool off in as little as a couple minutes of idling.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree. P0171 usually is a maf issue, do you have an oiled air cleaner. I was told that if you disconnect the maf and drive around sometimes you can tell if the maf is bad by how it runs, vacuum leak, spray carb cleaner, a fuel pressure issue, check, check pressure at shrader valve on fuel rail

hartwrenches

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Maf

I agree. P0171 usually is a maf issue, do you have an oiled air cleaner. I was told that if you disconnect the maf and drive around sometimes you can tell if the maf is bad by how it runs, vacuum leak, spray carb cleaner, a fuel pressure issue, check, check pressure at shrader valve on fuel rail
Also check and make sure everything is sealed tight between the MAS and the throttle body.:headbang::icon_idea:

kena

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L....2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Run a can of Seafoam through it as directed by (seafoamsales.com). That should cure most inspection problems.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
also check all connections from the MAF to the throttle body. unmetered air getting into the system could cause a lean condition.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals