• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help auto transmission is shifting hard ranger 3.0 4x4

Danny505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I need help my 1995 ranger xl 3.0 4x4 auto transmission is shifting hard 2-3 3-2 146k on truck and its a jerk like if i push the gas a little bit and put it in gear should i just change the oil and filter or any sensors? plz any input helps also im new to the forums and i just got the ranger for 1300.00 cheap also i checked the fluid its fine?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe not so cheap.

What color is the fluid?

Danny505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Well I checked it last night ill check color today

Danny505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
color is a lil red ish i put half a quart and drove a little looks like it cleared up alot still a little rough so im going to change oil and filter do i also need to change valve body or just gasket?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A little "reddish" can be deceiving depending on the color of the rag and how much oil you're looking at.

I would do a complete system flush and renew with all new fluid. There are internet references on how to DIY - advised to use a helper. If you're up to it you can remove the pan and see what interesting gunk is on the bottom. If there are magnets on the bottom of the pan note their position and put them back in the same location. The "filter" is usually just a fine screen that can be removed, cleaned and replaced. I wouldn't touch the valve body unless you know what you're looking at. The only gasket should be the pan gasket and a new drain plug washer. Some Goggling will help you understand what you might run into.

Danny505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
white paper towels and the level was fine i checked it after the drive

Danny505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks my dad is having his friend do it he has his own shop thanks for the help

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if four wheel drives are configured the same way, but I had shifting problems with my '00 two wheel drive and it turned out to be the speed sensor in the rear pumpkin. I swapped in a new one and all was well.

Last edited:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if four wheel drives are configured the same way, but I had shifting problems with my '00 two wheel drive and it turned out to be the speed sensor in the rear pumpkin. I swapped in a new one and all was well.
That's not a bad suggestion. In my FSM under "Harsh Forward" shifting, under electrical, it lists the VSS as a possible, along with TPS, EPC solenoid, and PCM. Replacing each part would be expensive so locating a test procedure would help narrow it down.

Under "Hydraulic" it lists band/clutch pressure, high line pressure.

Changing out the fluid is a good starting point especially on a just acquired used vehicle with no maintenance history.

Danny505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks i will check all that.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
VSS sensors are a known cause for trans troubles on Rangers, they're cheap and easy to replace, so that's the first place that I'd start if my tranny were giving me problems.

Answer069

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about a 92? I have been having problems with my Trans not shifting properly into the OD gear and also having a harsh shift into reverse. Does my truck have a VSS that can be causing me issues or is it just time for a rebuild?

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think that '92s have the VSS... you'd have to look in a manual. (The VSS on my '00 is located on top of the pumpkin on the driver's side.)

Answer069

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK thanks just trying to see if this is something I can fix as opposed to taking it to a shop

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I hear you about not wanting to it to a shop. Assuming that you've already changed your filter and fluid, valve bodies and band adjustments are something that you can repair yourself, so I would do a search on those two items and see if you can find something that matches the symptoms that you're experiencing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals