• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! 89 ranger camber issues after 2 inch lift

Wannagodiving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 89 ranger 2 door 4x4, and i recently installed a 2 inch skyjacker lift.
bought moog fully adjustable bushings and can't get my positive camber better than 1.7 left and 1.3 right after install. anyone have any idea if im missing something? or any ideas?
i thought and was told by skyjacker also that i would be able to adjust my alignment back into spec after this install. (reason for install was suspension was original and it was shot)

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Not being as familiar with the second gen ranger as the third gen I could be wrong but they should make more than one adjustable cam bushing. The differences are how much they adjust. Maybe you got the stock angle adjuster and not the one that adjusts further. This is a common thing with 3rd gens so I'm figuring should be the same for the second gen camber bushings also.

I swapped mine out for the reverse reason. My suspension sagged enough that I needed further adjustment and this is when i found there were more than one and each had a different angle to them.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
A different, or more severe cambered bushing might be required to straighten it out. Wannagodiving might the the right solution linked above.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am surprised they are saying you can lift it 2 inches and still get it in. On the f150's with the twin I beam front suspension, 1.5 inches of lift is pretty much the max you can go without a lift kit, and still be able to get it in alignment.

If the lift you bought came with taller springs, you may have to drive it for a little while and see if the springs settle some. All new springs settle after some drive time on them.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm with franklin, get it as close as you can and drive it for a while, it'll need tweaking later no matter what...

My Ranger hasn't seen an alignment bench in the 20 years I've had it and EVERYTHING has been changed. I've attempted to set camber and caster angles before but with the current setup I just get the camber close and try to give it some caster if there's room before the upper balljoint gets bindy then set the toe with the front tires on a pair of THESE and give the front suspension a push to let it settle in. I usually measure at the wheel lip below the radius arms and about the same height in front and go for about 1/8" of toe in.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Wannagodiving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
yes.
sorry, it didn't notify me someone else commented.
after settling i'm at 1.0 and 1.1 camber and 0.0 -0.8 caster, -.07 -.38 toe. toe is easily fixed. the bushings are maxed at 2.75 negative camber, so looks like im stuck with bad camber...

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-Front-RWD-3-1-4-Degree-Positive-Camber-Bushing-SET-For-F350-S-Duty-K8983/122580153178?epid=78889221&hash=item1c8a58b35a:g:pHYAAOSwHEZZd~Cs&fits=Year:1989|Model:Ranger|Make:Ford

OK here is a link to 3.25 degree camber bushings that should take care of your issues or at least come close after the suspension settles more over the next year or so.

EDIT: https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80109

Here is a link to a 4 degree camber bushing that, as long as the measurements are correct that you gave, will more than cover your issue. All I did was entered in to a google search " 89 ford ranger camber bushings 4 degrees " and there it was... Just what the Doc ordered for a lifted Ranger suspension. Get them, install them, put it on the rack again and be done with your lift. (y)

Last edited:

Wannagodiving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-Front-RWD-3-1-4-Degree-Positive-Camber-Bushing-SET-For-F350-S-Duty-K8983/122580153178?epid=78889221&hash=item1c8a58b35a:g:pHYAAOSwHEZZd~Cs&fits=Year:1989|Model:Ranger|Make:Ford

OK here is a link to 3.25 degree camber bushings that should take care of your issues or at least come close after the suspension settles more over the next year or so.

EDIT: https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80109

Here is a link to a 4 degree camber bushing that, as long as the measurements are correct that you gave, will more than cover your issue. All I did was entered in to a google search " 89 ford ranger camber bushings 4 degrees " and there it was... Just what the Doc ordered for a lifted Ranger suspension. Get them, install them, put it on the rack again and be done with your lift. (y)

that is greatly appreciated, but those are for a newer ranger, wont fit mine. unless i swap my knuckles and maybe my front diff, which at this point a dana 35 is sounding like a good idea..... might be cheaper.... lol

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Sir those are for the the 89 through the 97 bushings not just the 93-97 3rd gen.

For sure they fit the 89 2WD versions so unless Ford used a special camber bushing only on the Dana 28's this is what is needed.

@bobbywalter @PetroleumJunkie412 @rusty ol ranger

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sir those are for the the 89 through the 97 bushings not just the 93-97 3rd gen.

For sure they fit the 89 2WD versions so unless Ford used a special camber bushing only on the Dana 28's this is what is needed.

@bobbywalter @PetroleumJunkie412 @rusty ol ranger
The truck generation is irrelevant, first gens and '89 4x4's have D28 front axles and that part fits only 2wd and D35 equipped trucks. I'm only seeing up to +/- 3.25 degree bushings for the D28 application.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals