• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello!

tpginmaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,
This got a bit long. Sorry!

Like many here, I've been getting lots of help from you guys for a while with no recognition - so thank you everyone. I actually set up my account a year or two ago but never 'participated.' In fact, I've never actually posted to a forum, I think. I'm not a mechanic, but I definitely try some stuff (especially if there's a video). There's a lot of Ranger info - articles, forums, YouTubes, etc., out there, but there always seems to be a friendlier feel to TRS, so I always end up here. I figured it was only right to do the Intro forum before posting questions. So here's my deal:

When my 99 Volvo T5, standard, wagon (which I loved) died (sort of my fault) Dec '14, I had no money (hence the sort of my fault). I needed transportation for work ASAP. Never had a truck before but kinda wanted one, so I basically bought the cheapest one I could find - a bare-bones 1997 B2300 for $1000. It looked light blue on that fresh snow, under that tree, on that single-digit-frigid, cloudy day, when I really just wanted to be done with my practically 24/7 search. Turned out it was really light purple, and was immediately, and affectionately, christened Barney by the family! I ended up doing a lot of work on Barney, mostly small, not too expensive, but important things. I really liked the truck and doing the work. Sadly, the alternator went after 10 months and the rust and other creeping issues were so bad that it would have cost thousands to even pass inspection. It had about 250K on the Lima engine.

Next I got a good deal on a 2000 SAAB wagon. I thought. But not really. A little advice - never, EVER, buy a 1999 or 2000 SAAB 9-5 unless you've: 1) had one before, 2) can get detailed service records (synthetic ONLY at regular intervals) or, 3) don't mind installing an engine yourself! Trust me on this one. Ooooh, wait, I just thought of a 4th! If you're rich, it's ok. Yes, if you just can't figure out what to do with all that spare cash hanging out of your pockets, a SAAB 9-5 could be just the thing you're looking for!

So, NOW, I'm driving my 4th vehicle in the past 18 months: a top of the line 1999 Ranger XLT 3.0L Flex, Automatic, Super Cab, Styleside 4x4 Off-Road with all the bells and whistles. 125k on the meter, but engine has less. 4 beautiful matching tires & basically new front brakes. Extremely clean cab. Even came with a locking Leer cap, all for...(drum roll, please)...$750!!! Barney Jr. runs & drives great and after a month of daily use I have not come across any new, unknown issues.

However, there was some considerable risk on my part - rust in particular, ABS light on, broken e-brake, and then any unknowns discovered after driving away. Maine is an inspection state, so rust can be a significantly expensive mandatory repair and no warning lights are allowed to be on. Tracing the ABS issue could cost a fair amount of time and/or expense. Still, I'm thinking that if I have to sink a couple grand into it, I've got an awesome, top of the line, low mileage truck for a while. So if it lasts 3 more years, it will be like a $76 monthly payment, paid upfront, and not including the post-sale for parts. Not a bad deal.

Whew! So that's my Ranger/s autobiography! I've got a sticker through Sept. 30, so I'm guessing I may need some expert help between now and then. That is, IF you're done reading this intro by then...

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
LOL...welcome...one of the better intros I've read...I hope you're not a writer because you could be...and if you are...well, I hope it's a living.

Sounds like you scored a good deal on the second Ranger...the owner must have ran into some cash to buy a new vehicle and didn't want to spend another DIME on Barney II...I've seen some people so mad at their trucks for falling apart but they should be mad at themselves for not working on it...

Anyway, hope you find what you need here when you need it there...:icon_thumby:

tpginmaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Mark_88. Not a writer, but I enjoy keeping things light. The previous owner thought it may need frame work to pass inspection. I don't see evidence of that, although there is a lot of rust below. In fact more than half of the spare tire hanger is completely gone! Spare's in the truck. He was asking quite a bit more ($1200 I think). I low-balled it, listing the specific problems I did actually see thinking he'd meet in the $1000 range. As you say, I guess he just wanted to be done with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals