• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hello

redcomet303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,

Well I now own my second ranger. My first being a 1984 2.8l 5-speed R.I.P.
And my current 07 2.3l XLT auto. I have been wanting one of these trucks now for about 3 years. Ever since I drove one for deliveries while working at Autozone.

So I'm a long time turbo car guy. I will give you all the short list.
1990 Eclipse GSX - 14b 21psi
1994 Eclipse GSX - 16g 21psi
1998 Eclipse GSX - 16g 21psi (380awhp)
2008 Cobalt SS - K03 22psi (315hp)
2007 Sky Redline - K03 17psi (Stock260hp)

So my plans for the ranger will eventually be an efficient turbo build. Looking for the best response on the stock engine rather than high horse power.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the Station! Let's see some pics of your Ranger.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

Not familiar with the newer 2.3 turbo, but you might want to check the forum lower down the list...it appears you have a need for speed...lol

FX4OffRoad1992

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
welcome man! when I saw that you had a Cobalt SS, I about died! My friend has an '07.. man those things are just plain SICK!!!! FFFAAASSSSTTTT car! that turbo 4 banger will have your head spinnin man! post some pics of the ranger though!

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I see you've had some fun mitsubishi's before... how much experience do you have with the 6G7 series?

redcomet303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I loved the cobalt. I traded it for the Sky thinking that would be a better car to mod. Turns out not so much and the payments were higher so I let it go. Now I've been a long time ford guy. My dad taught me how to work on trucks and he owns the following fords.
84 ford ranger 2.3l Carb
73 ford f100 Ranger 351W
2004 Lincoln Aviator 4.6L DOHC modular

As far as my fords
84 ford 2.8L
2005 ford focus 2.0L
2011 ford forcus 2.0L (Wife's Current Car)
2007 Ford Ranger 2.3L (Begging for a T28)

Aslo I did own a 2000 Mitsubishi GT v6 6g72. I'n my humble opinion that engine is an engineering failure. Don't go for boost unless your ready for cycl 1 to blow on you. (It's a function of the cams that makes cyl 1 get the least amount of air/fuel so it always runs lean). My suggestions to your question are as follows for successfully boosting a 6G7 series.
EGT temp gauge in cyl 1 exhaust with a waring light when a certain temp is exceeded this will let you know your pushing your engine to hard or you bought crappy gas.
A wideband 02 sensor to tune with.
Pick a turbo t3/t4 is best for a v6 to get the most out of a reliable set-up.

Now if your not into boost thats fine. I have known of several 300HP 6g7 series motors. Basically you need a 11.5 cp ratio and stronger rods. ported heads. Higher lift cams. Bigger injectors/ fuels pump. And a good dyno tune. However the life of those engines is only expected to be about 100K miles so in my opinion its not worth the money on a rebuild. So swap in a 6g74 from a diamante.

Last edited:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How is the stock vr4 setup in the 3kGTs?

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
And does the DOHC help that problem in the 72s at all?

redcomet303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok . The 3000 GTs are pretty fast they will do 170 ish stock. Here's the dirty secret about them besides them being 4k pounds. The transmissions are almost un rebuildable and extremely unreliable. I know a guy here that dynoed 650 AWHP. Yes I have seen the dyno. The car is stupid fast but he's already destroyed 4th gear after having it rebuilt for a second time. I think he said he has 20k in the car. On a side note the 3kgts have my favorite interior of all time second only the the 1g eclipse. It feels like your in a space ship. And ecause of the weight the car is poised going almost any speed. As far as acceleration though an eclipse will beat it out any time. Mostly due to the 500 pound difference.

And yes the dohc 6g7s don't have the cyl 1 issue but I don't think the 3kgts engine bolts up the the eclipse. I believe the engine is reversed. Get on club3g an look into engine swaps. A lot of guys are swapping them out. I will be swapping a 6g74 from a diamanté into a 2002 gt in a couple of monthsy friend wants to give it to his son with a little bit of power behind it.

Last edited:

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Not worried about the trans or bolting into the eclipse... I'm thinking about it swapping into something a little more red with a nice blue oval on the front... :D

<<<------------

Which also means i need to figure out what longitudinal transmission i'm gonna get, i'm thinking a custom bellhousing and a C4 with an art carr shifter

redcomet303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
That would be interesting. However what has made you look into this engine in particular? Have you found and easy tranny to use? In my opinion you van get the same power from the 4g63 for a little less and performance auto werks has a rwd tranny kit. And they made two rwd versions. One in the Mitsubishi station and one in the Mitsubishi mighty max / dodge d50. The 4g63 would give you a lot more after market support along with dsmlink which essentially turns te ecu into a stand alone system, and the engine puts out a lot of torque. I a 4 banger isn't your cup of tea and you do have a rwd platform ready then you should start your research into running because that will be your key factor in performance on the 6g74.

If I where to do an engine swap into this truck and had the money I would want to try to fit the new ecoboost v6 into it. 360hp/360trq. With a flat torque line from 2000rpms it would be a beast. I can't wait for them to put it in the new f150 and then eventually make a v8 version. If only ford would produce a twin turbo 5.0 ecoboost. They would completely dominate in the American performance segment. (using the hp to size ratio of the ecoboost with just a tune and some fuzzy logic). 400hp for 3.5ls = 114hp so a 5.0l tune might be able to see around 570 with a massive torque curve.

P.S. Sorry for grammar errors I'm typing all this on my iPhone.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
grammar is better than some on a computer lol.

I'm looking at the 6g72 because I can get it(and a TT setup for it) fairly cheap, its proven(ish), and I'd like to keep a v6. Originally I was looking at pulling a Montero trans for the RWD setup, as they came with 6G72s in 2000-05, but I'm not sure it will take the power of the DOHC and or the turbo that will inevitably get stuck on there, which is why I was looking at getting a c4 with an adapter bellhousing.

Current plan stands as: get a donor car, probably one that A) has a trans issue,since i don't need that; or B) has the timing belt issue, which is easily fixed mid swap with the motor out. Luckily I have access to a couple of friends who tune import motors and can get dyno time fairly cheap. then part out the rest of the car. luckily dodge stealths get sold fairly cheap, just have to make sure you get a DOHC one

I would love more than anything to put the new ecoboost into my truck, and I can't wait for someone to do it, but that is so much money because it is brand new that it doesn't make sense. a ranger with that motor would be totally unstoppable.

redcomet303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
If budget is a concern I would suggest to you to try to keep the engine stock for now while fixing the timing belt and maintenance and get it running and driving then start upgrading the engine. If you found a stock 6g74 TT and can get a transmission for it then it would be a pretty interesting swap.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That's my plan. get it into the ranger, get it running reliably, and then get upgrades going. 70 hp over stock isn't too bad :D. Are there internal differences between the 6G72TT and the N/A6G72? from what I've seen there weren't, but i don't know

Did they make the 6G74 with a stock TT?

redcomet303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry I meant the 6G72TT not the 6g74. And I think possibly the TT version had different rods and pistons. But I have never rebuilt on of them. I know the 4g63 inside and out. The turbo 4g63 had oil squirters, different cams, and bigger rods.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals