• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

heads

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
alright, here is the deal. could a faulty/leaking head gasket cause the temperature gauge to skyrocket towards the "H" during acceleration and decrease to rather "normal" when just cruising? i am going to be putting dye in the system to just get a peak, but just wondering if this is a possibility :dunno:..let me know!

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A leaking gasket usually has other sypmtoms. Engine missing, especially at start up, white smoke out the exhaust. Heating under load could be a fan clutch going bad. :)shady

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
A leaking gasket usually has other sypmtoms. Engine missing, especially at start up, :)shady
well, it has a chug at idle but not when constant rpms are in place (like cruising)..my gas mileage has gone down a fair bit (taking into consideration it is wintertime, i know)..i start it up and it does seem to have a slight miss..nothing huge, but noticable. it didn't run like that till i noticed the heat gauge going up..an how do i tell the fan clutch is going? is there certain, simple diagnostics/prove-outs i can do to so called test it?

Ford 460 Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked the oil lately, on a blown head gasket you could have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Check the oil and the coolant levels this could be signs of a blown head gasket or a cracked head.

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
my oil is down a tad, but no sign of any milkshake style substance in my oil. coolant level is good as too. i did some electrical diagnostics; everything is good and tight there. I am wondering if maybe it has something to do with the water pump?? oh well, i'm porting and polishing my head and re-working my intake over anyways, so i'll be replacing my head gasket while i'm in there (not to mention my timing belt and neccessary components as well). i was toying with the idea of a new intake manifold design; i got a whole month to design something and my buddy will help me fab it up..should be fun!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals