• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

header problems

SchmigShady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I have a ser of Headmen headers on my truck ever since I put them on the bolts that connect the headers to the crossover pipe will not stay tight. The first time no big deal just thought I didn’t get them tight enough when I installed them so I just retighten them. Came loose again and the nuts feel off so I bought all new bolts, nuts and even lock washers and I also applied lock tight. Then the other day they came loose again plus having an exhaust leak that just happen to melt a hole in my clutch line so I have to replace that which will be $90.

Anybody have some advice on keeping these bolts tight? The only thing I can think of is lock washer double nutting it and lock tight the piss out of it. thanks

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lock washers are worthless. It is most likely too hot for locktite to be effective. Maybe try some deformed thread (elliptical offset) lock nuts. Nylock nuts will just melt.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The proper name for the locking nuts you are looking for is "stovers". Using those should work as they were originally designed to be used on wood stoves. Almost any nut and bolt store will have them and know them by that name.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They also go by the names torquenuts and clevloc nuts. I think they are just brand names. :icon_thumby:

Edit: nuts and bolts bible

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The original equipment nut is a deformed nut. High heat plays havoc with the deformed part and therefore they should not be reused. The website shows an example of two all metal nuts for high temp operation.

www.mechanicsupport.com/stop_nut.html

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If all else fails, I know "stage 8" makes header flange fasteners.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals