• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head Gasket 4.0 1987 Ranger 4x4

sun417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a fouled out #2 sparkplug and it appears to be coolant and oil on it. I think I have to replace a head gasket just wondering how much work this would be for someone who has never worked on a fuel injected vehicle or computer. Last time I worked on a car was my falcon back in 70. Plan to port and polis while they are out and replace the water pump does that sound like the way to go??:dunno::dunno::dunno:

fdnl33ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v-6
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 91 ranger with 4.0 me and one of my friends took the whole top end off in 2 hrs last nite one of my heads were cracked. If u need help just go to an auto parts store and u can buy a book for the ranger and it wil tell u step by step how to tear it dwn.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Head gaskets are head gaskets. They don't know what kind of fuel system you have.

Changes due to EFI are minimal. A few more electrical connectors. Far fewer vacuum lines.

But as in the 70s, the first thing to do is get the ID right. There was no 1987 Ranger with a 4.0L. Put a 4.0L head gasket in a 2.9L (or vice versa), and the results won't be nice.

The only real "gotcha" is that Fel-Pro lower intake gaskets suck donkeys -- they don't have end gaskets anymore. Get one from the dealer or you get to choose between big blobs of RTV in the crankcase or a big oil leak at the back (or maybe front) of the engine.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Um... MAKG, I hate to burst your bubble... but Fel-Pro took care of the crappy lower intake gasket situation. They now make a complete gasket set that rectifies the problem and works great... without the globs of sealant.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good. Their old ones used to be like that as well.

Good to hear they pulled their heads out. It sure looked like a desperate cost cutting measure.

Though if you'd seen the OEM gaskets, you would still be impressed. Ford did some nice work on some of those (and they aren't as expensive as some people think). Same deal with valve cover gaskets. OEMs can't be crushed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals