• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has Anyone put a Hitch Receiver on the front of a first gen 4X4 Ranger (1983-1988)??

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
I am trying to find the best way to put a front receiver on my 1988 Ranger XLT 4x4 so that I can throw a winch on there when I'm wheeling and take it off when I'm not and to be able to push trailers around the yard at work. I know there are a few universal receivers out there that can be made to fit but I wanted to check in first and see if anyone else has already done this and how they went about it. I currently have the stock chrome bumper in the front and wish to keep it however, I don't mind cutting a square to fit the end of the receiver through the bumper about where the license plate goes (don't need one in FL) to keep her high and tight to the body and out of the sand/mud. Thank you for the support and participation!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I did, I made a hitch that bolts to the bottom of the frame rails and I cut a hole in the bumper for it to go through. Like you I was concerned about it being too low if it was below the bumper, especially with a winch. Works great and I am very pleased with it.

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
I did, I made a hitch that bolts to the bottom of the frame rails and I cut a hole in the bumper for it to go through. Like you I was concerned about it being too low if it was below the bumper, especially with a winch. Works great and I am very pleased with it.
What do you mean you made the hitch? how did you make it or did you take the same receiver that fits the rear and retrofit it to the front rails?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Pardon the crude image but this is basically what it looks like. It was homemade. I used a piece of rectangle tube for the main part and cut a hole in it for the 2" receiver tube to slide into and welded that in place. Bolts go up through the tabs on the sides and into the bottom of the frame.

Untitled.jpg

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
Pardon the crude image but this is basically what it looks like. It was homemade. I used a piece of rectangle tube for the main part and cut a hole in it for the 2" receiver tube to slide into and welded that in place. Bolts go up through the tabs on the sides and into the bottom of the frame.

View attachment 67239
not crude at all man, what gauge tubing did you use?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Shran did you eat all your colored crayons again?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
I think it was probably 1/8" or 3/16". I'd be comfortable using 1/8" but nothing thinner here... 1/4" at max.

Sniffed too many sharpies and forgot where I put the colored ones!
one last question on building my own, How long was the 2" receiver tube you used? Im think 9" or maybe 12"? Im leaning more toward the 12" I guess I could always cut it down if needed but just curious on what you used.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
What I did most likely is not what you intend but maybe draw some inspiration. I built a bumper/ brush guard for my gen2. I incorporated one receiver extension and one clevis pin hitch on the frame mount location. I’ve used it to move trailers around as well as pulling F250s out of the snow bank. The receiver is so universal. A fella could make multiple tools from a winch to and anvil or vice. Hell even a work table to mount on there. Check it out.
2A9412EC-426F-464C-A477-AFE112B52B3E.jpeg

It fits my 1st gen as well.

Last edited:

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
What I did most likely is not what you intend but maybe draw some inspiration. I built a bumper/ brush guard for my gen2. I incorporated one receiver extension and one clevis pin hitch on the frame mount location. I’ve used it to move trailers around as well as pulling F250s out of the snow bank. The receiver is so universal. A fella could make multiple tools from a winch to and anvil or vice. Hell even a work table to mount on there. Check it out. View attachment 67241
Very nice TW 205 I waned to do a full winch bumper however weight is an issue, I need to stay as light as I can in the front to avoid rubbing and keep my flotation on the sand here in FL as well as my gearing is short so I struggle with low end torque and the 2.9 doesn't really love high rpm all the time. But that is about how far I think I want the receiver to be sticking out so that my winch carrier would clear the light bars up front. Im not a great welder but it looks like I may be getting some extra practice if I end up going the route of building my own.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Very nice TW 205 I waned to do a full winch bumper however weight is an issue, I need to stay as light as I can in the front to avoid rubbing and keep my flotation on the sand here in FL as well as my gearing is short so I struggle with low end torque and the 2.9 doesn't really love high rpm all the time. But that is about how far I think I want the receiver to be sticking out so that my winch carrier would clear the light bars up front. Im not a great welder but it looks like I may be getting some extra practice if I end up going the route of building my own.
Yes she does weigh a bit. I estimate 100lbs.
First time I took my wrangle into sand just to turn around. She sank in. Didn’t think I was gonna get out but eventually she did.
I have 410s with an LS rear in that rig and a 3” body lift with 31x1050s It helps but your right the 2.9 is week in the HP department.

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
Yes she does weigh a bit. I estimate 100lbs.
First time I took my wrangle into sand just to turn around. She sank in. Didn’t think I was gonna get out but eventually she did.
I have 410s with an LS rear in that rig and a 3” body lift with 31x1050s It helps but your right the 2.9 is week in the HP department.

Yep that's what I estimated for materials then an additional 50-60lbs for the winch, Im also on 31x10.50 but I'm on 3.73 gears with LS front and rear extended cab filled with too many tools to count so shes heavy as is. I will do something similar to what you have when I trash the Dana 28 and replace with a dana 44 out of a jeep and ill be able to change gear ratios. I haven't found a set of 4.10s for that damn Dana 28, the only thing I found was a set of 4.56s but that's far to tall for 31s for me. What front axle is in the bronco you got the 28 or the 35?

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
She still has the 28. I have a first gen with a 35 I robbed from a 90 BII
8EE2DC7B-20A1-46B0-B2CD-8C1CE6E16AA9.jpeg

GingerKing13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 Super Cab
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
31x10.5xR15
Ah your setup looks similiar to mine but i had a different sway bar setup that went behind the front axel between the radius arms but I ended up leaving the sway bar out after I installed the lift and other than the bump-steer it rides like a dream. What bushing set is that? I need pitman arm bushing, and tie rod bushings but haven't found poly urethane like yours

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I got all the bushings from bronco graveyard. I still have yet to drive it since the lift and body off restoration. Started with body lift but got a little carried away. I put the skyjacker FA600 drop pitman arm on hoping to avoid the bump steer. She still needs all the brakes south of the master cylinder, shocks and a fuel tank. Has an old 2.8 in it still just to keep it off the garage floor. Really want a 5.0.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals