• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Harmonic Balancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Can't get the balancer to come off of my 88 B2.....any tricks or tips

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I assume you are using a puller made for this? I hate to admit this, but I had problems pulling the one on my 86. I had the puller and I was cranking on it hard. It would not come off. I then realized I hadn't pulled the thick washer off yet, no wonder it was stuck. Then that was a job in itself. The OD of that washer was very tight in the balancer. It's almost like they drove it in at the factory. I think I ended up sticking the bolt in little ways and beating on the side of the bolt to dislodge the washer. It finally came out.

When I put it back together, I had to actually grind a little bit off the OD of the washer so I could fit it back up in there. And after all that, and getting the truck back on the road, about 3-4 months later I noticed I had a leak up there. It looked almost like it was the timing cover seal. But it wasn't, the oil was coming out around the washer that holds the balancer in place. It seems oil will migrate down the keyway of the balancer, and slowly leak past the washer and bolt and then it gets slung around the front engine area. What I had to do was pull the balancer bolt and washer back out, clean it all up and smear some rtv on the washer, and stick the whole thing back together. That stopped the leak.

That may have been why the washer was originally so hard to get out. The factory may have had some sort of sealer in that area that made it stick in there.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you. I didn't even think about that washer. After I took the front part of the pully off I just assumed it was read to be pulled. I have broken 2 bolts with the duck I can get one out and will be able to fix the rest later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals