• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard to start, then runs poorly first couple miles and presto! All is right

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Got a new car so the ranger sits now for a few days or a week. Trying to start requires turning the key off and try again oh 8 to 10 times, finally starts and feels like only 2 or 3 cylinders are firing. Force it down the road couple of miles feels like a big miss fire and then runs great. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be a few things.

You could have a slow fuel pressure leak, wouldn't even be noticed if driven daily.
Next time it sits for a few days, turn key on, count to 3 and turn key off, repeat two more times, then try to start engine.
Each time key is turned on fuel pump runs for 2 seconds, that should add 10-15psi, 1993 system needs 30-40psi

Next would be to install a new ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor, these run about $6-$10
ECT sensor tells the computer the coolant/engine temp at startup, a cold engine needs richer fuel mix and higher idle to run, if ECT is reporting a higher temp that actual temp then engine wouldn't run well until it warmed up a bit.
You don't mention what engine you have?

The ECT sensor will have TWO WIRES connected.
There is also a temp SENDER for the dash board gauge, this doesn't effect engine performance, it only has one wire connected.

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've thought about loosing fuel pressure as a possibility. Has a 2.3 in it. Always runs cold even with Fla Temps. About 100 on fuel pump, now has radiator for a 4.0l in it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be someone put in wrong thermostat, should be a 192 or 195degF thermostat.

Size of radiator doesn't matter for underheating if thermostat is working, radiators are for extra heat cooling if needed, so engine should get up to 195degF before upper rad hose even starts to get warm.
Feel upper rad hose before cold start and then after about 3 minutes of idling or driving, should be same temp as when engine was cold, if it is warming up then thermostat is open and needs to be replaced.

Temp sender on the 2.3l is on drivers side rear of engine, just below the head, oil pressure sender is just above it on the head.

Because of this location the gauge will often show just above 1/4 when fully warmed up, most temp senders are located near the thermostat so show max temp of thermostat, just below 1/2 on Ford gauges, about 190degF

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar problem. I had to mash the gas pedal to get it to start. then I had to pedal the gas to keep it running without hitting the rev limiter. After a few minutes it ran normal and I was able to drive off. I hooked up to the OBDII and didn't see a code. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the idle sensor, plus gave me the obligatory upper intake cleaning. Ran great afterwards.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals