• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Handling is scary

HD_Slim

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So I picked up a 2000 2WD Std Cab 4cyl (90k mi) as a work truck and to do the usual dirt road fishing / camping.

The previous owner did put on some chrome wheels that allow a slightly taller wider tire and the tires are mud+snow tread.

I have not looked at the shocks - but this thing rides like truck - I mean speed bumps are hell. My '99 F150 was a freakin' Cadillac compared to this ride.

But more to the point on wet roads this thing feels squirrley in any corner -- I pushed it once and the rear broke loose with little warning. Again the F150 was a cruiser as well and was at least solid in the corners.

Any pointers on any of this ?

I'm thinking a decent all season radial might offer more grip than the mud/snows

Don't know what to do about the shocks.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I put M/T's on my 99 driving was squirrely for a good while. about the ruff ride. Idk does it have torsion bars or is that only on a 4x4. Check the torsion bars if ya have them. If not i would look into shocks. I love my RS5000's cheap and they are pretty good for a small pickup

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
His truck, unless it's a Trailhead/Edge, will have coil springs.

Check the shocks, suspension and steering joints, etc.

Rangers are light little trucks; put some weight in the back to help it get traction.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
My 97 is the same way, Std. cab 4cyl 2wd. My ass end nearly leaves the ground if I dont have a load on it over speedbumps. And traction is absent at all times, which is exiting.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The shocks on my 1993 are gone. Need to replace them when I get the money.

It was kept in a garage in NYC for the duration of it's life. But the past 4 years of it being used to commute to NYC ate away at them from the road salt. Now that I have it, she doesn't see much road time in the winter.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It may have a limited slip in the rear end, which would cause it to be squirelly around corners. Tires also play an important role. My Goodyear's are excellent on dry pavement, but absolutely SUCK in any rain/bad weather.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Its normal. The Ranger rear-end is just light. Even with the best tires, 4cyl, slightly oversized tires. The rear-end can break loose in wet, snow, or icy roads. Adding weight to the bed helps.

I've learned to drive like it is.

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:agree: my 97and my 99 do the same thing best thing to do is just add some sand bags and shocks or keep :3gears: like i did lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals