• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hand brake for Torsen limited slip

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking of putting in a hand brake or two so I could engage the e-brake for the rear axle independently. Basically doing manually what a lot of vehicles do automatically. The torsen has a 2.1 TBR. (I think) seems like a pretty easy and cheap way to increase my traction off-roading. I know it still won’t be as good as a full locker. But I like the torsen for driving on the street in snow better.
Has anyone tried this?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Dragging a brake to get traction to move forward seems counter productive doesn't it? I know it may help in certain situations but it's not going to be ideal for off-roading is it? It may help you make a turn like you would use independent brakes on a tractor.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Dragging a brake to get traction to move forward seems counter productive doesn't it? I know it may help in certain situations but it's not going to be ideal for off-roading is it? It may help you make a turn like you would use independent brakes on a tractor.

The theory is that since with any limited slip you will get some power at both wheels unless one wheel looses traction completely then only that one will spin. my applying the parking brake you can add resistance to the wheel that was spinning freely and it will act more like they both have traction.

I've done it before in the snow and it does help. I normally just use the pedal e-brake though.

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The theory is that since with any limited slip you will get some power at both wheels unless one wheel looses traction completely then only that one will spin. my applying the parking brake you can add resistance to the wheel that was spinning freely and it will act more like they both have traction.

I've done it before in the snow and it does help. I normally just use the pedal e-brake though.
I’ve done the same. But like Franklin said it’s counter productive to brake when trying to get moving. The torsen TBR is 2.1 so if I could only brake the wheel not getting traction it would send twice as much power to the wheel with traction, without fighting the brake on the wheel with traction. Not sure if that make sense lol. I think a lot of electric traction control on suvs use this method now. Just curious if anyone has tried it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The servo controlled ebrakes on the newer cars probably make it real easy too.

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I thought about putting a line lock on each brake line. Then I could just press and hold a button to lock up that side. But it would cost me about $100.00 in parts instead of $20 and I would actually have less control.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don’t think anyone on here has or they haven’t mentioned it if they did. I suppose you could wait a bit to see if anyone chimes in but I think you have your answer.

I can see the thinking behind the plan. How well it would work in practice would be interesting.

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think I’ll try it on the passenger side first. Just see if I can rig up a quick test. Probably be a while before I get to it. I’ll try to post up some info once I have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals