• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinding, scraping sound

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
I recently replaced the Auto hubs on my 95 4.0 4x4 with some used manual hubs I got from pick and pull because I thought the driver side auto hub was bad and it was making a grinding, scraping sound. (hard to explain the exact sound)

But after I installed the manual hubs the noise is still there.

I opened the door while I was driving (slow) and it's kind of hard to tell where it is coming from. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the driver side, so I guess it could be coming from the transfer case, the u-joints, or even the differential, I can't really tell for sure.

Basically whether the hubs are locked or not the sound is there until I disengage the 4x4, then it stops. So if the sound is still there with hubs locked or unlocked, then that would rule the hubs out, right?

I am going to check the fluid in the transfer case and front diff later tonight or tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 93 kinda does that two and it was auto now man lockouts but then again I have a loose ball joint and mabe a wheel bearing

four100d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50-15
Man, don't I feel like a dumb**a! It was late last night when I got done installing the manual hubs so I didn't spend too much time trouble shooting.

I just now went outside and was going to check the fluid in the t-case and I found the problem.

The person who owned the truck before me ran a new brake line to the rear, and that brake line had somehow shifted away from the frame and was rubbing the drive shaft coming out of the transfer case! Here I was thinking the worst... :)

I guess the brake line did help me talk my wife in to getting some new (to me) hubs. I actually went there to buy just a replacement auto hub and told my wife I was only going to spend $35. Well, I found some manual hubs on an explorer and I decided to do the swap, they cost $68 and some change. I like the manual hubs a lot better.

I just took the truck for a drive and everything seems to be working like it should.

Thanks for the reply!

Well the moral of this story is, check out your sh** before you ask for help... :icon_idea:

broughton88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haha nice and simple fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals