• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got to think about some tires soon

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
I can get them mounted for free. But I had to become a member.

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Why didn't your friend that mounted them balance them?
It was bait and switch.
$15 per tire $10 to smoothe out the bead, and then they wanted $25 each tire. So I said I'll wait on that.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It was bait and switch.
$15 per tire $10 to smoothe out the bead, and then they wanted $25 each tire. So I said I'll wait on that.
What does "Smooth out the bead" mean?

Did they use caulk?

lil_Blue_Ford

Cut & Weld
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
4”
Call me crazy or suspicious, but it seems to me tire choices are drying up some. I’ve been keeping tabs on a couple different Cooper and Mastercraft tires and I’m seeing a lot of “out of stock” listings. I’m a little curious as to why it seems like everything but China tires are ending up out of stock…

At first I was willing to kinda go with the idea floated by the one local tire shop that my tire sizes are becoming obsolete until I started poking around looking for tires for my green Ranger. I don’t have rims yet and I don’t have the money to throw at tires and what is on the truck will work for the time being, but I was starting to search for something suitable. Plan is to try and get some 18” Explorer rims (maybe 17”, but I’d prefer 18”) and get a tire that’s in the neighborhood of a 29” tall tire roughly 9-10.5” wide. Naturally it will be a metric size. I found a few candidates in that range with a casual search, but nearly all of them I’ve seen are ”out of stock” which brings me back to asking, why…

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT's on my beater a few years ago, they were like $75/tire with free shipping from Walmart at that point. I bet I've put 20k on them so far and they show very little wear and perform great in the snow. Not quite as good as my favorite BFG All Terrains but for a $75 tire I can't complain. I think they're about $105/tire now but out of stock.

These might be OK:

Avoid these, they are absolute shit on wet roads:

These were really popular but I hate them. Expect dry rotting within a couple of years, I've had a ton of these tires and they all rot away fast.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Because they wanted an extra $25 each tire for balancing. I'm very thrifty. 🤪
Wow. That stinks. Last set I bought, mounting and balancing was $20 each tire. They had this clever name for it - "installation".
20231128_173122.jpg

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow. That stinks. Last set I bought, mounting and balancing was $20 each tire. They had this clever name for it - "installation".
View attachment 102380
That "installation" at wmart is a major problem for me. They hand some kid my keys and tell THEM to bring MY truck in, and they can't figure out how to drive a stick shift but that don't stop them from trying to tear it up.
My futures at wmart will be no more than to to "put this on my spare tire plx".

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That "installation" at wmart is a major problem for me. They hand some kid my keys and tell THEM to bring MY truck in, and they can't figure out how to drive a stick shift but that don't stop them from trying to tear it up.
My futures at wmart will be no more than to to "put this on my spare tire plx".
My invoice was a very reputable tire store nearby that I've come to trust. They're honest and good. Free patches when I run over stuff. I think they do free rotations, too. But I take care of that. I bought the road hazard insurance mostly because I live 2 miles from the county landfill and There's a lot of residential construction in this area (at least 7 New developments within 4 miles of my house). That hazard insurance paid for itself several times with the wide low profile tires I had on my F150 in less than 4 years. Lots of nails, screws, staples and other sharp stuff falling out of vehicles around here.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Call me crazy or suspicious, but it seems to me tire choices are drying up some. I’ve been keeping tabs on a couple different Cooper and Mastercraft tires and I’m seeing a lot of “out of stock” listings. I’m a little curious as to why it seems like everything but China tires are ending up out of stock…

At first I was willing to kinda go with the idea floated by the one local tire shop that my tire sizes are becoming obsolete until I started poking around looking for tires for my green Ranger. I don’t have rims yet and I don’t have the money to throw at tires and what is on the truck will work for the time being, but I was starting to search for something suitable. Plan is to try and get some 18” Explorer rims (maybe 17”, but I’d prefer 18”) and get a tire that’s in the neighborhood of a 29” tall tire roughly 9-10.5” wide. Naturally it will be a metric size. I found a few candidates in that range with a casual search, but nearly all of them I’ve seen are ”out of stock” which brings me back to asking, why…
Goodyear bought Cooper a couple years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they are at the "consolidating plants" phase now.

I have noticed Coopers are getting a little harder to dig up but they are not usually my first choice when selling tires.

scrape off most of the corrosion???
Major PITA and a source of upset customers if their new tires won't stay up.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Goodyear bought Cooper a couple years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they are at the "consolidating plants" phase now.

I have noticed Coopers are getting a little harder to dig up but they are not usually my first choice when selling tires.

Major PITA and a source of upset customers if their new tires won't stay up.
which is why I have a media blasting cabinet.
used aluminum and road salt makes for lots of white powder and pits.

10-12 years ago I had Sears mount a tire on an aluminum wheel. the tech spun the wheel on the mounting unit while hitting the flanges
with a rotary wire brush. the resultant nice shiny aluminum sealed real good for about a year.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Right Rusty, I'm looking for 235/75r15

Anybody ever heard of or tried those ebay "take-off" tires.
They have free shipping one way but to send one back you gotta pay your own shipping
Only buying 2, at those prices I might try a close match
If you're looking for a good (not real cheap) tire, try Kumho Crugen HT51. Your size is available. I just got these tires for my Ranger and am very happy with them. These are an all-weather tire for light trucks with a 70,000–mile treadwear warranty. See if an independent tire shop can get them for you. I paid $155 each for mine, but it included mounting and balancing at my indy tire shop.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you're looking for a good (not real cheap) tire, try Kumho Crugen HT51. Your size is available. I just got these tires for my Ranger and am very happy with them. These are an all-weather tire for light trucks with a 70,000–mile treadwear warranty. See if an independent tire shop can get them for you. I paid $155 each for mine, but it included mounting and balancing at my indy tire shop.
We sell a ton of them.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll check those out man. Did they ship them to the shop you gave them?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals