• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got another ranger

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I used to post here well over 10 years ago...I had a 93 ranger reg cab 3.0 manual, a 2002 edge 3.0 manual extended cab, a 2005 4.0 xlt manual extended cab...then I got a 2007 f150 fx4 5.4 auto which I had for about 3 years. I also had a Jeep wrangler back in the day that I lifted and put 33's on.

My wife and I had a baby 6 months ago so I had to get out of the payment ... priorities first right...

So I found a pretty good deal on a 2002 black edge extended cab 4x4 with the 3.0 and manual. Picked her up yesterday, she runs good, has a few minor issues with the paint -- nothing that can't be fixed on a nice warm weekend in a few months if all this PA snow melts.

Anyway, I was amazed to see this site was still around.

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah I had a question, I was reading this site all last night pretty much...and I see everyone recommending the manual hubs, etc... Am I correct in assuming that the 2002 doesn't have auto or manual hubs, it just locks in in the transfer case right? So I mean the front axles and the front driveshaft would always be spinning?? So that would be something I don't have to worry about replacing right?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah I had a question, I was reading this site all last night pretty much...and I see everyone recommending the manual hubs, etc... Am I correct in assuming that the 2002 doesn't have auto or manual hubs, it just locks in in the transfer case right? So I mean the front axles and the front driveshaft would always be spinning?? So that would be something I don't have to worry about replacing right?
Lol why wouldn't this site be around? Welcome back

Yes you are correct your 2002 has a Live front end so the hubs are always spinning and everything up to the transfer case. Only 98 -99 had the PVH hubs, I actually did a write up on how to fix them.

Well you don't have to worry about 4x4 not being locked in unless its the Tcase motor that goes bad... but since everything is always spinning no matter what you may get 1 or 2 mpg's less just cause of the drag, and the front parts are going to wear out faster cause they are spinning even when not needed. Just check the front end from time to time and you should be fine. :icon_thumby:

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks.

Oh heh...I was like "man I need fog lights" today and walked around the front to see what the holes looked like...and voila I had some there lol. They work and everything.

I'm going to have to sand down the roof and paint that along with the bottom of the driver side door this spring/summer though. Other than that, she's clean. The hood could use it too, but it's fiberglass so no rush there.

I did a nice lookover on it today, new shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, front pads, rotors, both rear shackles are brand new. The whole front end looks old, like the tie rods and ball joints, but they're all tight. No leaks on the engine, there might be a little oil dampness on the rear main but I'm not overly concerned unless there was a drip.

The wires I think are factory still because they're numbered...so I should probably look at doing plugs and wires. And I guess a fuel filter too.

Last edited:

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks.

Oh heh...I was like "man I need fog lights" today and walked around the front to see what the holes looked like...and voila I had some there lol. They work and everything.

I'm going to have to sand down the roof and paint that along with the bottom of the driver side door this spring/summer though. Other than that, she's clean. The hood could use it too, but it's fiberglass so no rush there.

I did a nice lookover on it today, new shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, front pads, rotors, both rear shackles are brand new. The whole front end looks old, like the tie rods and ball joints, but they're all tight. No leaks on the engine, there might be a little oil dampness on the rear main but I'm not overly concerned unless there was a drip.

The wires I think are factory still because they're numbered...so I should probably look at doing plugs and wires. And I guess a fuel filter too.
I would put bed liner on the bottom under the door.. that way it can't chip or anything. :icon_thumby:

And I always do a tune up (or reccomend doing a tune up) when you get a new used vehicle. Plugs, wires, fuel/air filter, change the oil/filter, PCV valve, ect ect...

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol I'll get there I promise. I'll take one of both my ford trucks side by side...maybe today.

Good idea on the bed liner. I'll have to sand down the inside too really good because it's not necessarily rusted, but the paint is bubbly or whatever...so I'll get it real good.

How far up the door are you recomending going with the bedliner, like the bottom 2 inches or so?

Oh yeah...shouldn't the 02 4x4's have come with 255/70/16 -- mine has 245/75/16 -- and the door says 245/75/16. I thought they switched that in 02, or maybe it was 03...

Last edited:

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK let's see if i get this right...

Here she is...

Interior...

Next to my f150 fx4...

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
looks SUPER clean.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
nice rigs, my driveway will look something like that in a year or so when i get a 150

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
lol I'll get there I promise. I'll take one of both my ford trucks side by side...maybe today.

Good idea on the bed liner. I'll have to sand down the inside too really good because it's not necessarily rusted, but the paint is bubbly or whatever...so I'll get it real good.

How far up the door are you recomending going with the bedliner, like the bottom 2 inches or so?

Oh yeah...shouldn't the 02 4x4's have come with 255/70/16 -- mine has 245/75/16 -- and the door says 245/75/16. I thought they switched that in 02, or maybe it was 03...
Yeah 2 or 3" would probably be fine, I have seen people go all the way up to the that dividing line on the door.

Well since you have a 3.0L its a smaller tire, my 99 4x4 came with 225's but the 4.0l has like 255 or 265's

dbp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ahh man this place is bad...I'm already thinking about 3" BL, 33's and black wheels. And yes, I already know about 33's and smaller engines.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What he said.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals