• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got A 4.0L, what should I do to it ?

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
So I picked up a 4.0L for my B2 last night, what should I do before dropping it in ?

So far I've figured, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, rear main, anything else ?

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just pulled my 4.0L and am changing the front and rear main seals,and the valve cover gaskets. Get the rubber kind. In addition I am stripping the components and painting the engine block, anything that is steal. I am leaving the aluminum castings natural. I am adding some JBA headers. The only other modification is that I am adding an electic drive fan in place of the engine driven fan.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
unless it's low miles I'd go ahead and rebuild it. At least drop in some new rings and check the bearings if not replace them. A stock rebuild kit doesn't cost too much. I think it's worth it to pull it apart and check everything before you drop it in just to make sure tha in 20k you don't have to pull it out because it decided to drop a rod bearing or something. Good luck!

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Was there ever any change in the motor ?

I assume it won't matter if I change up the year I'm for parts ? 92 93 94 should be the same stuff right ?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
They added EGR in 93, so the exhaust and intakes are different for those. The computer pinouts can be a bit different from year to year also.

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
How does one identify the exact year ? The paper on the back of the valve cover is toast, I did find this 91 on the back of the intake, but then it has some junk yard writing on it that says 92, then you might be able to see the red that looks to read 20,000 as in miles ?

Gonna keep A/C

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Do NOT waste your time rebuilding it. Do the few things that need to be done and throw it in.

4L's are plentiful, and are HELL of expensive to rebuild correctly. Been there and done that, and said "F" that. I went and bought another truck with a V6 in it.

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, I'm not gonna bother rebuilding it. I just want to spruce it up a bit before dropping it in, thus I'm doing things that commonly seep, and a tune up before putting it in to save some effort later on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals