• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gen1 Front clip

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Well Im going to be doing a 302 swap soon and have decided to put the transmission and engine in as one unit, 302, np435 with np208. But due to my trucks height and lack of lifting resorces I have decided to take the front clip or at least the core support off to do this.

My question is how much of a PITA is it to take it off? Is it all just bolted to the frame or is anything welded to it?

Endoverend47

November 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo
Transmission
Manual
considering im swapping cabs and just did it twice...its not that hard. just a bunch of spot welds
a lot of drilling! heres what the cab looks like once the spot welds are drilled out

Last edited:

inuyasha2875

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it would be easier to take the cab off the frame

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Before you get started, knowing the nature of these trucks check to see how rotted away your core support is. If its bad just replace it when you do this. The cab isn't hard to get off but not really necessary. You don't really need to take the everything off back to the cab unless you really want to. The core support is spot welded to the metal inner fender. You will have to pull the fenders and drill out all the spot welds, battery support and remove the front two body mount bolts. Just bolt the thing back on when you are done.

Matt

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So some front parts are welded to the cab. Ill just drill those welds off and then try to take what I can off in larger parts.

My core support is not in bad shape, from what I have seen, so it shouldnt be a problem.

I have been thinking and will just take the front support off and try to avoid taking the fenders off if I can, no need to do more work then needed.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just taking the core support off shouldn't be a problem. Unless you plan to bolt the core support back in place, I would suggest picking up a spot weld cutter for the removal.

I understand wanting to remove the core support, I'm thinking about going that route myself. My reasoning is just the opposite though. I have something high enough to lower the motor into the engine bay, but the truck itself might be too low to put the motor in at that angle. Transmission might hit the ground before I get it in the truck far enough to tilt it back down. I'll know better once I have the cab back on the frame.

Oddly enough, I think the core support is the worst part of my cab with the exception of a small rust hole in the passenger foot well.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
To get the core support off you need to take the fenders off. These things rot bad right where the body mount bolts are on each side of the radiator. Aside from the fenders those are the only bolts. The spot welds are fairly obvious if you look around for them. You can use a spot weld cutter if you want but if you are bolting it back on there is no real sense. I would suggest stainless bolts when you put it on. It could be a tad simpler to pull the cab but its just as big of a pain in the balls. If you have a lifted truck and no 2 post garage lift pulling a cab isn't all that easy either. If you pull the core support and bolt it on this leaves a easliy removed opening in the front of the truck for easy engine removal which is way faster then pulling the cab again should something go wrong. In the event you have to pull it ever again you can pull the core support with rad attached and suck it all out the front minus t-case in one shot. I would know being I just pulled mine not long ago all in less than 35 minutes.

Matt

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ This makes sense to me. I just replaced the front inner sheet metal after rolling my race truck and not having it there is much easier access and easier pulling the motor. I think I'll take the time to make the core support removable from the inner fenders while it's apart.

Richard

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Definitely remove the core. It's way easier than cab pulling.
Make sure to get at least 2 spot cutters or ones big enough to go
around the 1/4" spots.

Rich

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well Im going to remove the core and just bolt it back into place. Plus I will have to cut some it out for the radiator that I am going to be using (exploder 5.0 with puller fan) so it will make cutting and whatnot to it easier.

The thing I am worried about is the np208 transfercase fitting between the cab where the bellhousing is and the engine crossmember if there will be enough space for it to fit through it or not, may take the transfercase off before hand and put it on when the engine and transmission are in it.

Above all I refuse and will never put a body lift on my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals