• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Geezers: New cars then vs now

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
every switch on the dash could be operated in the dark by feel-no touch screens,.
I hate the touch-screen climate control system in my dodge. In any of my other cars (older) that I've ever had I can turn knobs and push buttons by feel after a few days of familiarization with the layout. On the dodge I have to take my eyes off the road to change anything but temp and fan speed. I guess technically you can do it hands-free using their voice system, but its really cumbersome and sensitive to syntax.

My wife's Maverick has just knobs and buttons. It works nice.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My question on "SelfDriving" vehicles & the obvious goals of those developing systems:
why bother with Ownership\Driving\Maintainence\Liability\... just take a Subway\Bus\Taxi\Uber\GeriatricTransport\...
& let 3rdWorldBitHeadProgrammers & GovernmentBureaucracy control how & were you go?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I hate the touch-screen climate control system in my dodge. In any of my other cars (older) that I've ever had I can turn knobs and push buttons by feel after a few days of familiarization with the layout. On the dodge I have to take my eyes off the road to change anything but temp and fan speed. I guess technically you can do it hands-free using their voice system, but its really cumbersome and sensitive to syntax.

My wife's Maverick has just knobs and buttons. It works nice.
I hate that many cars are moving toward a single button that cycles between vent/floor/defrost.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
My question on "SelfDriving" vehicles & the obvious goals of those developing systems:
why bother with Ownership\Driving\Maintainence\Liability\... just take a Subway\Bus\Taxi\Uber\GeriatricTransport\...
& let 3rdWorldBitHeadProgrammers & GovernmentBureaucracy control how & were you go?
You really have to try it out. All it does (for now) is keep the car centered between the lines. It's awesome for road trips. Like the natural progression after cruise control.

Edit: but then again... A leaky tail light will brick it. Heck, my mom's brand new Tucson is bricked right now. after one month, it just died. Mechanic said it was ALL the way dead. Lemon level dead from the sound of it. Absolutely no response from the computer.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
All it does (for now) is keep the car centered between the lines.
That's what guard rails are for.

And if you don't like my driving, then just stay off of the sidewalks!

Regards,

Toonces

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You really have to try it out. All it does (for now) is keep the car centered between the lines. It's awesome for road trips. Like the natural progression after cruise control...
Edit: but then again... A leaky tail light will brick it. Heck, my mom's brand new Tucson is bricked right now. after one month, it just died. Mechanic said it was ALL the way dead. Lemon level dead from the sound of it. Absolutely no response from the computer.
I'll think about, but considering price of newer vehicles, that mine have been paid for now 10+ years,
& that I use CruiseControl maybe 2 hours once or twice a year,
I'll likely just stay with these reliable "old horses" until they drop dead & are beyond repair.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Meh, its just a number. Wife says I still act like a teenager.
I'm 61 today, and I do. Still riding a 1340 cc crotch rocket that doesn't like to keep the front wheel on the ground. And my other bike is a DOHC four valve per cylinder 1800 cc v-twin that requires minimum 91 octane.

I was born in 61. Watched all the young guys of the day driving Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas, Challengers, Chargers, Javelins, etc. Very impressive were all those 60's muscle cars. My first car was a 78 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Very underpowered for what it was. CA didn't have smog checks at the time, and I had it fixed up pretty nicely before I sold it after about six years. My second was a pure hot rod. 1970 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400, with the 400 motor, Muncie M22 Rock Crusher four speed and 4.10 gears, no ac or anything fancy. It ran circles around that 78 bird. I owned them both at the same time. Had a couple Datsun Z cars, then a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. Then an Eagle Talon, followed by a Toyota Pickemup truck. Then got my first LIGHTNING in 2000. The one I have now is my second. I'd have more different motorcycles than I care to list. The 3000GT and that first Lightning in 2000 were the only new cars I ver bought. Of the 20 or so motorcycles I've owned, three of them were new.

I wouldn't buy a new vehicle today. too damned expensive. The five vehicles listed below are all paid for, some for many years. The Mustang and B-King were paid for in cash when I bought them. All five cost me around $230 a year to register in Oklahoma. The Lightning alone would cost double that if I still lived in commiefornia. Not including the smog check, of which Oklahoma doesn't have one.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There isn't anything older than about 1990, car or truck, that I would trust even as a beater today. Most of the cars from the 1990s and 2000s were much better than the 1970s and 1980s stuff, and they were simpler than newer cars. After about 2015 the nanny tech and complexity took over.

I'd say the 1994–2011 Rangers are in the sweet spot. Some 1989–1993 square-body Rangers, if well-kept, qualify too.

The really old stuff, meaning before 1980, simply was not designed to last. In the 1960s, 40,000 miles was considered high mileage. There was a reason odometers had only 5 digits. Most 1960s cars would never make 100,000 miles without major work.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just sold my 20yo F-150 a couple months ago.

If I could have gotten a newer one just like it but crew cab/6.5' bed I would have.

My "new" 2016 although XLT is pretty basic though.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
1- If I (30) went back in time to the 60s, would I be equally tempted to buy a new car vs a 10yo used one. I know they didn’t last as long back then, so what ever the equivalent is.
I'm not sure about that statement concerning how long they last. Corrosion control has come a long way. There's no doubt about that. But we're using thinner sheet metal now. Some engineering has improved, yet, a lot of the older, simpler engineering is fine. I think it comes down to ownership. How was the vehicle cared for? There are still bunches and bunches of cars from the 50's and 79's being lovingly cared for and driven. You can't really say they didn't last. There have been true lemons along they way. But there have also been plenty of great cars made.

Regarding "gadgets and doo-dads"; well, they have always been there, too. They just changed with technological advances. Electric windows have been around for a long time. Sound systems? There were early cars with record players installed. And AM radios came on pretty early. How about push-button transmissions? Power steering was once a luxury item. It's sometimes hard to understand how sought after some things were because we live in more modern times. So our outlook on things is different. We live in a different society with much more advanced technology available to is. There was a time when fuel was gravity fed to the engine. Mechanical fuel pumps came along as a great invention.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i grew up on carbs and stuff like that and i graduated high school in 94. first car was a 76 buick regal with a v6. great car but somehow a hole rusted through the side of the block after i had it about 3 months. and we lived up in east texas near a lake so the previous owners must have been really running bad water through it.

second car was a 79 honda accord with the cvcc engine and a five speed. that was an awesome car, cruise control, ac, sunroof, everything you could want to feel fancy back in 92/93ish. but the car had a three barrel carb that started flooding out and it turned out the brass floats had holes in them. it cost as much to fix the carb as it did to replace the car so i got rid if it. it was a fun car for high school though

would i want some of the older cars i had, now? i would want my 65 mustang and my 70 karmann ghia. not because they were safe or reliable ( i replaced the ghia engine three times in two years) but because they were just fun cars to me. i know, realistically, they would both probably suck to have now because they had nothing but engines and transmissions. no power steering, no power brakes, no ac, barely had radios.

i would love to have my 85 f150 extended cab. it would still be a useful comfortable truck because it was a lariat so it had velour interior, power everything, and deal tanks.

another fun car that my wife hated so we didn't have it long was a geo metro hatch back with the 3 cylinder motor. it got 55mpg on the highway and the five speed made it a blast to drive. you would rev it to something like 9 or 10k. it had ac and radio but that was it.

i have a new truck and it snice but i am not looking forward to when the warranty goes out and i have to work on it. its a 2017 nissan titan and is only missing the sunroof and locking rear end. its got everything else. its a nice truck but i drive the ranger way more because the ranger is a great size for the city

Last edited:

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have had only one car from new. 94 Geo Metro. Bells and whistles were a distant concept. I drove it 200K before the clutch gave out. Still had the original brakes. 12" tires. Could get 4 new tires for less than $100. 55mpg at 55mph. Drop down to the upper 40's going 65mph. A screaming 1liter 3 cylinder engine. 55 hp if I remember right. Loved that car. I'm a big guy, but it was the only car I've had that I could drive all day and be comfortable. However, also knowing it was a rolling coffin.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i think mine was a 95

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So my only new vehicle was also my first vehicle, a 2000 Ranger extended cab, 3.0, 5-speed, 2wd. It was a bare bones XLT, no third door, no cruise, manual windows and locks. It had a CD player, A/C and sliding rear window with privacy glass plus the opening quarter glass on the extended cab. Loved that truck but also was a dumb kid with it. I still have it and it still has less than 100k on it, but it needs the frame straightened and front end put back together. That truck, however, was also what brought me here around 2002, possibly late 01.

My second vehicle was my 1988 Bronco II Eddie Bauer, followed shortly by the choptop, then an 86 XLT loaded parts donor and an 89 Eddie Bauer that I later sold to one of my professors for his kid. Sort of bought an 87 Bronco II XLT, I paid a flat price to strip whatever I wanted off of it so I picked it clean. Then I got an 89 Ranger XL with a bad fuel pump and bad frame that is half stripped. When my first Ranger (henceforth the blue 00) got wrecked for the last time, I had been needing a larger truck for work, so I bought my 95 F-150 XL. Totally base model, manual everything, vinyl everything, only upgrades were 4x4 and A/C. Fun fact, the A/C still blows snowflakes out the vents but 95% of warmish weather I run around with the windows open and the wing vent windows open if need be.

Then after the accident that messed up my hip (kid ran a red light and totaled my dad’s red 00 Ranger XLT Extended cab that was V-8 swapped), I needed a vehicle with an automatic so enter my Green 2000 XLT Extended cab. Dad got a 99 XLT extended cab, also red, to replace the 00, but we haven’t swapped motors. All three of these were fully loaded, 4x4, auto, A/C, cruise, power everything, third door, rear slider, privacy glass, etc. The only thing I hate is the lack of either a wing vent or the opening quarter glass, you end up running the A/C more often because of poor air flow. Then I bought dad’s 94 F-350 XL dump from him. Manual everything, no cruise, no A/C, but has the wing vents and a limited slip rear, 460 under the hood, so it has some pluses. I was traded a 92 Ranger for some electrical work, thought at first that it was an XLT until I found the original window sticker in with the owners manual and learned it was an STX extended cab. All of the upgrades except the factory lift, decals, privacy glass and rear slider. No wing vents either. I eventually fixed the broken A/C because air flow through the cab sucked. If I fix it now, it’s getting a rear slider too at minimum.

Also ended up with two Eddie Bauer Explorers. One the body is shot and the other has a perfect body. Stripped the one with the bad body as parts donor, most of it is going to my green 00. The green 00 has an aftermarket DVD player in the dash which I would like to upgrade to one that has navigation. Not that I use GPS a lot, but sometimes it’s nice to have basically an open map conveniently open on the dash with your location highlighted. Some of the EB features may find their way into my 00 Ranger, like the puddle lights on the mirrors and digital climate control and such.

I really appreciate some of the newer features, but I’m right at home in something more basic too. One thing I love about all of them is that every control is in roughly the same location and you just have to figure out in the dark if you need to turn, pull, or touch. Even things I change I try to either keep in roughly the same location on all or whatever is a logical place. My F-150 and choptop have a high middle mount for the CB, but my blue 00 has it in the dash and the green 00 is getting it in the console because that’s the most out of the way places in those vehicles while still being in easy reach of my right (shifter) hand.

Some things like the 360* cams are pretty neat, but I learned a lot of my driving at the wheel of an 89 F-350 dump and learned to use my side mirrors and always have a good approximation of exactly where everything was in the space around the truck, so for me, it’s an amusing novelty. The backup camera, however, is a different story. If you can get one in a good place to see your hitch backing up to a trailer, it is 9,000% easier to hook up a trailer by yourself. Any trailer, even an unfamiliar one. Other than hooking up a trailer, for me, amusing novelty. A/C is a must without good air flow through the cab. Even then it’s nice to have when it’s stupid humid or you catch a rainstorm. Speaking of, manual windows are a pain in a sudden rainstorm. Power locks are nice when you have more than two opening doors.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'm not sure about that statement concerning how long they last. Corrosion control has come a long way. There's no doubt about that. But we're using thinner sheet metal now. Some engineering has improved, yet, a lot of the older, simpler engineering is fine. I think it comes down to ownership. How was the vehicle cared for? There are still bunches and bunches of cars from the 50's and 79's being lovingly cared for and driven. You can't really say they didn't last. There have been true lemons along they way. But there have also been plenty of great cars made.

Regarding "gadgets and doo-dads"; well, they have always been there, too. They just changed with ter chnological advances. Electric windows have been around for a long time. Sound systems? There were early cars with record players installed. And AM radios came on pretty early. How about push-button transmissions? Power steering was once a luxury item. It's sometimes hard to understand how sought after some things were because we live in more modern times. So our outlook on things is different. We live in a different society with much more advanced technology available to is. There was a time when fuel was gravity fed to the engine. Mechanical fuel pumps came along as a great invention.
New cars last much longer than old cars- unless the old car is maintained to death, pampered, and kept out of the snow and salt.Period.When I graduated in 72 you almost never saw anything older than mid 60's on the road. Ramblers would rust so bad in the rocker panels in 3-4 years that the door would bind and shut hard. My neighbor bought a new 68 Toyota Corona(Camry today) and it rusted beyond fixing in 2 years. The 70 Super Bee I had when I got married in 74 had already had one complete body job, 2 new fenders, and a repaint, but it still had rust holes in the trunk floor. In 75 a coworker offered to pain my 70 Coronet for $200( not $200 today- 3 weeks pay). It had already been painted once but it looked like crap. He found the left rear quarter behind the wheel to be made of filler with a piece of plywood for a backing. The paint hasn't faded on a modern 5 year old car.
They used to teach motorcycle riders to ride in the wheel tracks and not the center of the lane- because the center of the lane was black with oil from leaking cars and it was slippery. At the Sunoco, I'd always sell at least a full 24 quart case of oil at the pumps every shift.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals