• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gathering info, have some Questions

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys i know you are going to say search but i have and have read for countless hours on this and have had most of my questions answered but still have a few.

First ill give you a run down of whats happening, I have an 86 bronco 2 with the 2.9 in it that im trying to blow up but it just wont go, and i am planning to swap in a 5.0 FI engine out of a 1991 f-150 along with the AOD thats in it.The engine has 36000 km on it, no i didnt forget a 0 it was a remanned engine and the truck was written off after just 36000 kms.

So far i have collected:
-motor mounts
-radiator
-oil filter relocation
And know i need:
-AA adapter
-Headers
-FPR

And am missing:
-? anyone think of?

My plans are to send the tranny out when i get the AA and get it rebuilt and the tailshaft put in, then I will be putting a few things into the engine such as cam and some GT40p heads and get them portmatched and pollished.

Does anyone sugest an intake and cam for mild, offroadable lowend power?

What do you think of the james duff headers? i have always liked the longtube design but im not looking to beat the sh*t out of brand new headers to make them fit? has anyone here used them? Any other better suggestions?

What wires am i looking to have to splice in the bronco harness? i know things like the guages(oil pressure, power, temp) but what else? I am very good at wiring as that is alot of what i do all winter(remote starters along with car audio and video) just need some quidence as I use alldata for my wiring and they are all broken into separate categories.

Thank you all for your help in advance you are all great.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
first off why try to blow up the 2.9, why not sell it. even if it needed a rebuild, itll put some money back in your pocket.

i would do an edelbrock rpm camshaft if you wanted something mild. if you want something a little more aggressive. do a comp cam. edelbrock performer intake, and an edelbrock 600cfm carb because i just really like there carbs. plus there better for offroad. or if you want a really good offroad carb, the holley truck avenger.

for gauges, i would just get mechanical gauges for the oil, volts, and temp. something like autometer or sunpro.

anything else would be better left to the strict ford gurus.

freerider6_9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well its gunna stay fuel injected so no carb.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In a 91 F150 5.0, I would go with a roller cam to replace the flat tappet in it now. It will have a roller block already, all you need is the cam, lifters and lifter retainer hardware. Something like a Comp Cams 268HR (35-308-8) is what you want.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals