• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fx4 Level II rear brakes

Ballsoutsho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just wondering if the FX4 Level II came with disc brakes. Ive done some searching and I think the answer is No. Reason I ask is if I get a junkyard rear axle to get the Torsen Diff am I going to get Discs that I can swap on too. Or is that just wishfull thinking?

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
The FX4 Level II came with 10" drum brakes. No Ranger has ever been available from the factory with rear discs. You should be able to swap your Explorer discs onto the Ranger axle though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The brand new (exact date unkown) Ranger's have disc brakes, but they have barely hit the showroom let lone the junkyard.

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
The brand new (exact date unkown) Ranger's have disc brakes, but they have barely hit the showroom let lone the junkyard.
Cool I'm glad they finally did that.

oh BTW, Ranger axles are narrower than explorer axles

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If he get's a LVL II rearend it will be the same as an explorer's. They are both 31 spline 8.8's.

jdm_farmboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Manual
Explorer axles are 1.5" wider than ranger axles. And you will have to reweld the spring perches and shock mounts just like if you were putting an explorer axle into a ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If he get's a LVL II rearend it will be the same as an explorer's. They are both 31 spline 8.8's.
Similar but not interchangeable. The FX4 is a bolt in, the Explorer needs the spring pads flipped and shock mounts installed. The Explorer didn't get the Torson either.

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And the Fx4 31spline is one unique width bastard. Can't just get a replacement shaft from the JY off an expo.

But yeah, already answered but I'll go ahead and answer too... Fx4's and anything '09 model year and earlier have drums. Fx4's and most higher models have 10" drums. 2010 is the first model year of Ranger to recieve discs in the rear from the factory. You can go explorer axle as they're ALOT more plentiful than an Fx4 31spline, and you now know what's involed with installing the explorer axle noted above. Plus, it'll get the front and rear trac widths more matched. You can visibly see the difference in track width when a stock axle is back there(at least on a 98+ truck). Plus, you have readily avaliable replacement parts for the expo axle(most notably, the axle shafts). I regret going to the Fx4 axle in my '01 Ranger. Live and learn.

And....if your interested, I've got a 30,000 mile used Torsen off an '05 LII. Could throw that into an Explorer.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals