• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX4 Bed Rails / Bed Caps - What Years?

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I currently have a 2002 FX4 automatic, and the pervious owner had a bedliner installed but also gave me the dark gray bed caps which he had removed. I swapped the liner for a rubber bed mat and reinstalled the caps.

I found a 2003 FX4 Level II "twin stick" manual transmission / manual transfer case, going to look at it today. It does not have the caps in the seller's photos. My question: were those caps only standard on the 2002 year? I'm thinking about keeping and installing them on the 2003 if I choose to purchase it and sell the '02.

Couldn't find mention of the caps online except for cap/tailgate protectors for '08 / '09 model years on the TRS FX4 page spec tables.

Attachments

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I currently have a 2002 FX4 automatic, and the pervious owner had a bedliner installed but also gave me the dark gray bed caps which he had removed. I swapped the liner for a rubber bed mat and reinstalled the caps.

I found a 2003 FX4 Level II "twin stick" manual transmission / manual transfer case, going to look at it today. It does not have the caps in the seller's photos. My question: were those caps only standard on the 2002 year? I'm thinking about keeping and installing them on the 2003 if I choose to purchase it and sell the '02.

Couldn't find mention of the caps online except for cap/tailgate protectors for '08 / '09 model years on the TRS FX4 page spec tables.
My '01 Ranger Edge has them. My truck is bare bones stock besides the Edge package and came as 2wd with a 3.n0

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 03 FX4 I bought new had chrome rails on the top of the bed sides, not the black plastic caps - that truck had a "bright trim" package with chrome running boards etc. as well. The black caps in the photos you posted are not from the 02/03 time frame - the factory ones from then were not that tall off the sides of the bed. I don't recall the ones that you have.

Jim_Philly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They're shown in the Ford marketing photo at the top of the FX4 page...

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, my 02 FX4 came with the plastic caps. I would not call them dark gray though. They were black like the fender flares and front valence. I thought the black features were part of what came with the 02 FX4.

I took them off within the first couple months because I put my Wildernest Shell on it. During that time they were already starting to wear though the paint. I had an over the rail Line-Ex bed liner installed and that covered the wear areas. I sold the caps to someone that was very happy to get them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals