• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel issue on 88 2.9

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Baught this truck last night 88 ford ranger 4x4 wxtended cab. Has the 2.9 and has some issues. My main concern is a fuel issue. He told me it has a miss but i think its way off. Likeaybe the low pressure pump. Off and on it seems like im running out of gas. Starts to sputter off and loose power but then i put it to the floor and its fine. I let off again and it seems like im running out again. But it will fix itself after a couple minutes. Not sure what it could be. Vacuum anything just looking for suggestions. I tried seafome. Didnt help. Also the gas gauge didnt work but it still did it after i put more gas in. Thanks in advance!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have this same issue with my 88 BII. I have no idea what's wrong with mine yet.

For you, start by unplugging the oxygen sensor. If the problem goes away it's the sensor.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
At one point my 88 had a problem that I thought was the fuel pump. It would randomly stall hard, momentarily, while running, almost like flipping a switch on and off. It seemed to be related to vibration; bumps in the road caused it to start and stop.

That weekend, I started to test the fuel system for flow and pressure, assuming it was a weak fuel pump. Halfway through the process I noticed a wire in the ignition coil connector had come lose from the connector body, and wasn't engaging the pins on the coil. The problem wasn't fuel, but spark. The abrupt nature of the stall should have helped me figure that out.

In your case, I'd start by double-checking all the electrical connectors; make sure they're clean inside and well engaged. You might even put some "bulb grease" on each one to inhibit future corrosion. After that I'd go through the factory fuel system test for flow, pressure, and regulation.

The fact that it runs better when you stomp it seems to indicate that it's not a bad pump; a bad pump should have more trouble with more pedal.

A few diagnostic tests should eliminate some possibilities and narrow down the cause of the problem.

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright ill try that stuff. Thanks guys

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also the check engine light isn't on but I know it's not burnt out so it can't be the o2 sensor can it?

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That depends. If the O2 sensor is completely broken, it would certainly report an error. If the sensor is a bit off, so that it's reporting invalid values for the current operating conditions, but those values are theoretically possible under different conditions, then the computer may not complain. That's why asdm told you to unplug it, in order to double check.

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright I'll try unplugging it tomorrow. The check engine light actually just came on when I was driving but shut back off before I could get to oriellys to check the darn codes

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried unplugging the 02 sensor and it didn't change. Light came back on so I ran the code. It said too lean bank 1

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals