• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel in Oil Problem?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Just got off the phone with Ford customer care. A very frustrating experience but at least I got a case number. To summarize Ashley (FCC) I should just drive the truck and give no concern to the fuel dilution and that it should quit at approximatley 35,000 miles.
So they would rather you drive it and potentially ruin the engine then find the source of the problem. Obviously they know about the problem since they told you it should stop around 35k. (Give no mind to the fuel dilution) I didn't realize FCC employees were qualified technicians. I really hate you are going through this brother.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
There has been many complaints on fuel smell and fuel dilution in oil. It doesn't appear to affect everyone or even that many people. but for the trucks with the issue, it's quite obvious. For the other instances I've read about they've replaced the high pressure fuel pump and injectors. sometimes this fixes it and in other cases the fuel dilution continues. I have not experienced this issue at all but I've sent my oil to blackstone twice now and both times came back with only trace fuel dilution.

What is your driving style? I drive slow as possible trying to get as many MPG as possibly and my drives are no less than 1 hour each time. I suspect the fuel in oil issue occurs more when doing quick runs say like 5 minutes running to gas station and back.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have been really careful to keep an eye on the oil in the ecoboost in my moms edge. So far no problems. But as said, short trips really seem to be where issues come in to play here. (I base this on my personal experience) When the oil is never allowed to fully heat up it doesn't burn off the accumulated fuel and water vapor it constantly builds up over time. When the oil is hot enough it should in theory be constantly burning off that vapor and recycling it back through the PCV system. Cylinders are not "sealed" what goes into the combustion chamber inevitably ends up in the crankcase.

I think these longer oil change intervals manufacturers are recommending play a role in this as well. If you constantly drive very short trips, or do alot of idling your engine should be considered "severe service" and the oil changed more frequently than the normal maintenance schedule outlined in the owners manual.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I have been really careful to keep an eye on the oil in the ecoboost in my moms edge. So far no problems. But as said, short trips really seem to be where issues come in to play here. (I base this on my personal experience) When the oil is never allowed to fully heat up it doesn't burn off the accumulated fuel and water vapor it constantly builds up over time. When the oil is hot enough it should in theory be constantly burning off that vapor and recycling it back through the PCV system. Cylinders are not "sealed" what goes into the combustion chamber inevitably ends up in the crankcase.

I think these longer oil change intervals manufacturers are recommending play a role in this as well. If you constantly drive very short trips, or do alot of idling your engine should be considered "severe service" and the oil changed more frequently than the normal maintenance schedule outlined in the owners manual.
I get what your saying about short trips and not being able to burn off the excess through the pcv system, but only going a 1000 miles and his oil level is rising with fuel in it points to a much more severe problem than short trips.

Hoosier Daddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
I drive approximately 5miles to work (mostly city) each day so deffinately fall into the "short trip" catagory. My dealer advised me this is the reason for my issue which my phone call to Ford Customer Relations today backed up. I do hope the issue remidies itself. I'm going to start doing my own oil changes ( since I'm out of Ford Pass Points) and will use a full synthetic Mobil One. I will change it after 2,500 miles and send in another sample. I simply can not make myself go a full 5,000 miles (dealer recomendation) knowing that the fuel dilution is severe. Was hoping Ford would recommend a fix.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Wonder how much gas ended up in the oil in the days of carburetors? Hmmm.......

And why on earth will the problem "go away" after a certain mileage? Is that when the warranty expires????? I can't think of a reason for this disappearing over time.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wonder how much gas ended up in the oil in the days of carburetors? Hmmm.......

And why on earth will the problem "go away" after a certain mileage? Is that when the warranty expires????? I can't think of a reason for this disappearing over time.
Carburetors had less of an issue, even standard multi port fuel injection. Reason being, gasoline is being mixed and vaporized before entering the cylinder. On direct injection it is being sprayed at extremely high pressure directly into the cylinder which is documented to cause more "washdown" aka leaking down the cylinder walls past the rings before being ignited.

35,000 miles is the general mileage for the warranty, if they push it off that long it's no longer their problem plain and simple...

As others have said I'd be taking it to other dealers being a massive pain in the ass to Ford and every dealer within driving distance until the issue was formally addressed. Like @Craig0320 said, my explanation is not an answer and there is an obvious problem.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The issue has cropped up for me but the percentage hasn’t been as bad as some have reported. The worst time was after the pretty much continuous drive from Southwestern PA to East Texas. The truck was run through ringer on that trip. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone not long after and after and the percentage was considered within acceptable limits. There has been a definite fuel smell in the oil. I’ll send another sample in to them in the spring and see what the results are.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Just got off the phone with Ford customer care. A very frustrating experience but at least I got a case number. To summarize Ashley (FCC) I should just drive the truck and give no concern to the fuel dilution and that it should quit at approximatley 35,000 miles.
In the words of my oldest former tech: Horse puckies. What exactly is going to heal up in 35,000 miles of driving? The CRC "analysts" are not suppose to give technical advice, they often screw up warranty info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals