• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel filler neck

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I know this has been asked a few times but this is a slightly different scenario. I recently replaced my filler neck and everything has been working fine until today. I filled her up and noticed it spilled fuel. Now prior to this it was hard to fill up without the pump hose clicking. I replaced it and it worked fine for a bit. It's spilling where the house meets the tank. Think tightening it up a bit more would do the trick? I can't think of anything else that could have gone wrong really. It's on there correctly.

I'm thinking it's topping off and when it rises above tank level it is bypassing the inner hose and spilling from the outer hose. I'm thinking tighten it some more and problem solved. Unless I can use some sort of adhesive where the outer hose clamps onto the tank. What do you guys think?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose hose clamp to me....

I have a radiator hose for a filler neck. It fit better. Not fuel rated but I'm not anticipating any issues.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Sounds like a loose hose clamp to me....

I have a radiator hose for a filler neck. It fit better. Not fuel rated but I'm not anticipating any issues.
Good to hear I'm rigging it up to the winch right now to get the bed lifted. We'll see. I wonder if a new clamp might help because I could have sworn I put it on there pretty tight ..

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Got it retightened I'll top her off tomorrow and see if it spills again :thumbup:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Rubber hose & radiator clamps = retighten a week later....that's just the way it is :yahoo:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Rubber hose & radiator clamps = retighten a week later....that's just the way it is :yahoo:
Yea but this time I tightened it to where I almost felt the clamp wanting to skip the track :thumbup: if it happens again should I use one of those permanent clamps that you crimp? Or maybe a properly sized bolt clamp like the muffler variety?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I think you'll be fine with what you did. Bet your problem is resolved.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I doubt it'll happen again. If it does you just need a non cheap crappy Taiwan hose clamp. I've got some old ones from the 70's that take a 7/16 in socket you can put a breaker bar on. They do not jump the track. I've broken the head off one before it slipped (I left it in place lol)

German or old US made hose clamps make the crap on the shelves look like bubble gum and aluminum foil. However I seriously doubt you ever have that trouble again.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
I doubt it'll happen again. If it does you just need a non cheap crappy Taiwan hose clamp. I've got some old ones from the 70's that take a 7/16 in socket you can put a breaker bar on. They do not jump the track. I've broken the head off one before it slipped (I left it in place lol)

German or old US made hose clamps make the crap on the shelves look like bubble gum and aluminum foil. However I seriously doubt you ever have that trouble again.
Yea we'll see next time I fill up. It was significantly off the lip, but I suspect it caught the edge of the bed when I lifted her up so it might have been just a touch loose. Still getting a code p1443, but at least I know it's nothing back there. Just need to trouble shoot the two sensors in the engine bay and the canister. Any easy ways to check them? The hoses are new since I replaced them about 2 years ago and I blew out the hose going to the tank when I had it up so I know it's not there. I even put small clamps on the fittings on the tank to be sure.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals