• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Coil Springs - Regular or Heavy Duty?

Basilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I need to replace the front coil springs in my truck, and I'm not sure if I should replace them with regular (1941lbs) or heavy duty (2218lbs) springs. My truck calls for regular duty springs (A3 code), however the ride is currently very soft, and I thought that heavy duty springs might improve that. However the current springs in my truck are also 22+ years old and could just be worn out, and new regular duty springs might also improve the ride. I also might do a V8 engine swap in the future.

Has anyone replaced regular coil springs with heavy duty springs, and did it make the ride too harsh or uncomfortable?

These are the springs that I'm considering:
AC Delco 45H0291 Coil Springs (1941 lbs)

Last edited:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Go to this Moog link.........

Scan down to the three coils springs listed, click on each of the small part #'s above *coil spring set*, this will open a new page that will show you tech specs on each of the coils, all the Moog springs are designed to maintain the original installed ride height but you'll see that the different coils have different free lengths, different load rates (& in this case no different spring rates) according to the trucks load capacities. The heavier the spring rate the stiffer the spring will be, the heavier the load rate the higher the truck will sit if used in a lighter vehicle. Select the one that suits best your need.

Last edited:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
If you install the heavier load rate spring up front these will raise the ride height somewhat, is that what you want? You may not find it desirable.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Moog is a fun word to say repeatedly to random strangers at the grocery store...

Moog moog moog moog moog moog moog...

cschannuth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
255/60-15
My credo
Expect nothing and I’m like really disappointed
Heavier Springs will definitely raise your ride height a decent amount. I’ve got a V-8 swap in mine and didn’t do anything to the springs and it lowered it about 3/4 of an inch and I think it looks much better that way. I also added 150 pounds of weight under the bed for traction but it also lowered the truck about an inch in the back and I like the way it looks. It still has a nice soft ride but I added anti-sway bars to the front and rear and it corners nice and flat.
CF7053D0-860B-47CA-8240-2245ED647B3D.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals