• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

front brakes "rattling"

87Ranger4me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 87 Ranger XLT. I have been trying to track down this rattling noise coming from under my truck when going over bumpy roads, well the other day while driving with both windows down I discovered that if I apply a little pressure to the brake pedal the noise is completely gone. I remember this same thing happened in an older Ford I had years ago which turned out to be a little plastic sleeve that was missing from the caliper bolts, I replaced them and all was well. Can anybody tell me if there is something similar on my Ranger? If so what are they called so I can replace them. Or could this be something else?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
try just jacking it up and manually feeling for something in the brakes, steering or suspension that might be loose. i dont know what it might be but that is the best way to start diagnosing it.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
'87 Ranger doesn't have caliper bolts. There is supposed to be anti-rattles clips on each of the inner brake pads. They are usually missing. You can buy them at the parts store though.
Radius arm bushings are the next best guess.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that or the things equivlent to a caliper bolt have came out, I've ahd that happen when not replacing them at brake change time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals