• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front and rear axle swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So, I have a 1983 ford ranger with a 7.5 rear end and Dana 28 front end, I am looking to get a 8.8 rear end and a Dana 35 front end, now it seems like the 8.8 rear end is a almost direct fitment to the 7.5. My big question is what all do I need to make the front dana 35 fit to my old Dana 28? Or is it a pretty simple bolt on to?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
In the 83, you might have problems with the front driveshaft being about an inch too long. If at stock height. (I don't remember what transmission options were lengthwise for what years.) I'm pretty sure I could've run my stock front but I got lucky and found a shorter shaft locally.

Other than that. Might have to change/adapter the brake line fittings. Everything else should fit.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What about the shocks I saw that, in the front on the Dana 35 the shocks are on the opposite side of the coil spring

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The shocks are in the same place, unless someone put shocks at the sway bar mounts for some reason... on the shocks the D28 used double shear and a bolt through the bottom and the D35 uses single shear on a stud that does not use the steel bushing on the shock bushing, but you can use the D28 radius arms to eliminate shock changes...

The issues are steering linkage is a little wider on a D35 so get the bars from the donor rig and the most expensive part is shortening the driveshaft... when I swapped I did everything at once with the lift, D35 swap, Manual shift 1354 (from 1350) so I could use a stock front driveline from an explorer/ranger (I have an M5OD, the earlier transmissions are random lengths) and explorer 8.8 with 5.13's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals