• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Freeze Plug blew out of head 99 4.0

usmc1371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just left for work and got a huge steam cloud. Turns out the freeze plug on the back of the driver side head blew out. Found the plug in my drive way.

Can I get a new one in with out pulling the head? Will one of the screw/expandable plugs work or are they just a band aid?

Help me please. Thanks.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
you could use a expandable plug, but its only going to be a bandaid fix. the best bet is to pull the head and replace the plug, but thats easier said than done on the SOHC.

usmc1371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up an expandable so I will give it a try and let you all know how it goes. I don't wan't to pull a head sence I just put heads on the truck a year ago. Even on the push rod 4.0 it still sucks to have to pull a head for a fifty cent part.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are a type, i believe, that are like a big washer on the outside, and a rod on the inside, and a screw that connects them... they aren't perfect, but they are a very good replacement for what you have gone wrong, the expandable ones (rubber right?) break down and can meltish... where as the metal ones would be a better fit

usmc1371

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I used the rubber one but so far so good, i did see the all metal ones and I think I will pick one up just in case. I am also thinking about getting a few of the rubber ones just for spares.

It wasn't all that bad to get the new plug in I did pull the upper intake off so I could reach a little easier.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Any type pf freeze plug with a hole in it is going to be an expandable plug OR possibly like tie downs on the bed. Meaning they more then likely have some sort of expandable anchor that spreads the width of the bore when inserted and when screwed tight more then likely seals on a rubber gasket. In either case they are a temporary fix.

A question that begs answering is did the plug blow out or rust, or corrode out ?

Over time if you do not keep up with radiator flushes and anti freeze changes old rads fluid becomes very corrosive. It could start eating your freeze plugs away as well as the rad core, heater core, water pump, gasket seals.. etc etc etc.

Personally, If I had the space and time I would either raise the engine a tad so you could access all the plugs and change them all or pull it and replace them all. Chances are the rest are not far behind that one. You could try this I suppose. Drop the x member, or remove the trans mount bolts and try letting her down or raising her up via the trans a little to see if you can gain access that way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals