• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Forscan extended license how to.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've had at least 6 people PM me asking how to get the forscan extended license to work so here...

What you need-

First you need a Windows Laptop, it does not work on Mac or linux. (I'm not discussing how to use it on a phone or tablet, it's completely different software for those, this is only about using the PC verison).

Second you need a OBD2 adapter. A usb adapter will work much better than a wifi or bluetooth adapter. I recommend the OBDLink-EX. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/A539CE77-1BB3-4897-9C03-4F13CAC8F48B?channel=forscan&tag=forscan-20&linkCode=ur2

How to download and setup -

Download the latest version of forscan for windows here https://forscan.org/download.html and install it. Its freaking windows you know how to install something.

Next go to the forscan forum here https://forscan.org/forum/ and register. Remember your username and password, you need this to get the extended license.

Next click this link https://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php and sign in with your username and password you used to register on the forum.

Next fill out the information and click "generate", this will then give you a license with a link to download it. Download it and save it somewhere you'll remeber (desktop).

Now, open the forscan software and click the little steering wheel icon on the lower left. Click "enter registration key" and when it pops up asking you to select a file, click the file you just downloaded in the previous step and go.

You now have full access to all features for 2 months. When 2 months is up simply go back to https://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php and generate and download a new license. You can do this every 2 months forever.

You can purchase an extended licenses for a longer duration of time (1 year, 5 years, lifetime) but there is no difference in the features or functions between the free 2 month license and the longer paid licenses. The paid versions are essentially "donations" to help support the software. You can also use Forscan with no extended license but you will be locked out of certain features, most notably PATs key programming.

You're welcome.

As some parting wisdom, don't click crap in forscan you don't understand. Forscan is not some autozone obd scanner. You can damage your truck screwing around with the wrong functions.

Last edited:

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
Do I need a nail gun to install windows or can I use a regular hammer?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I prefer to use construction adhesive.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Do I need a nail gun to install windows or can I use a regular hammer?
Either will work. just make sure you are dead center on the pane when you hit it.

AJ

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
just ordered obd adapter, this will be great, 5 fords in the yard!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Can I click on crap I don't understand in ForScan?

I mean, seeing as how I only own one OBDII vehicle and have it on my work laptop, I mostly use it on other people's vehicles, so I am not likely to damage my own vehicle.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I've had at least 6 people PM me asking how to get the forscan extended license to work so here...

What you need-

First you need a Windows Laptop, it does not work on Mac or linux. (I'm not discussing how to use it on a phone or tablet, it's completely different software for those, this is only about using the PC verison).

Second you need a OBD2 adapter. A usb adapter will work much better than a wifi or bluetooth adapter. I recommend the OBDLink-EX. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/A539CE77-1BB3-4897-9C03-4F13CAC8F48B?channel=forscan&tag=forscan-20&linkCode=ur2

Download the latest version of forscan for windows here https://forscan.org/download.html and install it. Its freaking windows you know how to install something.

Next go to the forscan forum here https://forscan.org/forum/ and register. Remember your username and password, you need this to get the extended license.

Next click this link https://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php and sign in with your username and password you used to register on the forum.

Next fill out the information and click "generate", this will then give you a license with a link to download it. Download it and save it somewhere you'll remeber (desktop).

Now, open the forscan software and click the little steering wheel icon on the lower left. Click "enter registration key" and when it pops up asking you to select a file, click the file you just downloaded in the previous step and go.

You now have full access to all features for 2 months. When 2 months is up simply go back to https://forscan.org/forum/extlic.php and generate and download a new license. You can do this every 2 months forever.

You can purchase an extended licenses for a longer duration of time (1 year, 5 years, lifetime) but there is no difference in the features or functions between the free 2 month license and the longer paid licenses. The paid versions are essentially "donations" to help support the software. You can also use Forscan with no extended license but you will be locked out of certain features, most notably PATs key programming.

You're welcome.

As some parting wisdom, don't click crap in forscan you don't understand. Forscan is not some autozone obd scanner. You can damage your truck screwing around with the wrong functions.
TL;DR...
So how do I get it to work??

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Hit it with a hammer...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Can I click on crap I don't understand in ForScan?

I mean, seeing as how I only own one OBDII vehicle and have it on my work laptop, I mostly use it on other people's vehicles, so I am not likely to damage my own vehicle.
Breaking other peoples stuff is highly encouraged.

Scottlane1171

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

What you need-

You're welcome.

Its actually quite possible to use FORScan on a MAC. It takes a little work but it does work and has no issues

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Its actually quite possible to use FORScan on a MAC. It takes a little work but it does work and has no issues
His post was well over three years ago. Not sure that's terribly relevant to the thread at this point.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Never thought about using it on a Mack. Mostly because I dont Have one.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Never thought about using it on a Mack. Mostly because I dont Have one.

We have a bunch of Mack’s still left in our fleet, probably about 12. (Nope, 11… they just rolled one on it’s side a few weeks ago.) I could try using Forscan on one, but I think TechTool with the Vocom adapter will work much better.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I tried to get Forscan working on my laptop computer a few days ago. When registering for the forum, I never got the confirmation email. Gave up and put Forscan Lite on my phone. That worked great on the Superduty except it’s not reading the ABS module, which I may have an intermittent problem with.

I will say Forscan lite seems much, much better than Torque Pro, at least on this truck.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I tried to get Forscan working on my laptop computer a few days ago. When registering for the forum, I never got the confirmation email. Gave up and put Forscan Lite on my phone. That worked great on the Superduty except it’s not reading the ABS module, which I may have an intermittent problem with.

I will say Forscan lite seems much, much better than Torque Pro, at least on this truck.
I was able to get it work on both the Windows laptop and the Android tablet. I was even able to get the free temporary upgrade to work on both.

There didn't seem to be a lot I could do on the 2011 but the 2019 had a lot more options as far as access and changing things.

It does offer access for ABS and air bag issues. So, it has that going for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals