• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For the love of god...please help!

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...My 2003 ford ranger 4.0 has 67,000 miles on it. It works awesome Except in blowing snow! It bucks and misses/backfires like nuts. At first I thought the tranny was going. I had it checked out and it's ok. Then I realized it's only acting up in blowing snow. In park I can rev it with no problems in the blowing snow. It's only when driving through the snow that it acts up.
...I changed the coil pack, plugs and wires, fuel filter and air filter. It's still doing it. The only mod I did when I first got the truck before the snow season started was the air box silencer delete. Is this missing tube the cause of the problems?? Can someone please help me solve this problem.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Mebbe apples and oranges. Old BMWs run like crap if the connector for O2 sensor gets wet . YMMV :D

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mebbe apples and oranges. Old BMWs run like crap if the connector for O2 sensor gets wet . YMMV :D
...I can drive it in the rain and nothing happens. I put the intake tube back in the airbox...and it's still acting up. No check engine light or anything flickering on the dash.someone here must know what it Is? I like the truck...but this is driving me nuts. As mentioned the truck runs awesome until it starts snowing out.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
when it bucks, are you in 4wd?

might be something simple as one of the wheels slipping/ grabbing.

AJ

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...I may have found the problem. I was on a Honda accord forum and several guys have had the exact problem I am experiencing. Violent jerking/ misfire. Some of these guys spent thousands on parts/ labor and it came down to the air filter. Every single owner was running a aftermarket air filter and not the oem unit.
...once one guy figured it out.he passed the info on to the other forum members and they switched back to oem with success. Apparently light snow was getting by the filter to the maf..and then causing misfires. This would not happen in rain...just blowing snow. I swapped out the dirty oem filter awhile back with a Fram unit. I'm putting a new oem filter in tomorrow and am crossing my fingers.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
when it bucks, are you in 4wd?

might be something simple as one of the wheels slipping/ grabbing.

AJ
Does it in 2wd and 4wd. I'm hoping it's the aftermarket air filter that's in there as mentioned above.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I've never been a fan of those.

There are only 2 ways to get more air into an engine through a filter.

1) More filter media
2) Bigger holes in the media

If it doesn't look like there is substantially more filter material, you have bigger holes in it. Honestly it makes little difference on a stock engine, you'll only see noticeable results when you start modifying the engine to take in substantially more air.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've never been a fan of those.

There are only 2 ways to get more air into an engine through a filter.

1) More filter media
2) Bigger holes in the media

If it doesn't look like there is substantially more filter material, you have bigger holes in it. Honestly it makes little difference on a stock engine, you'll only see noticeable results when you start modifying the engine to take in substantially more air.
...The storm is over and I can guarantee that the truck will work awesome going into work. Honestly, the only reason I bought the Fram was because I thought it would be cheaper than oem. It all makes sense now. Everything in in fact pointing to the air filter...lol. learn something new everyday as they say.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...set out for my 30 minuit drive to work this morning. The first 20 minuits was great. No blowing snow. Then the wind picked up and snow was blowing around the headlight.....then misfire. I can't wait to throw a ford filter in it today!!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what is the part number of that filter? is it dry or oiled?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't the stock filter setup pull air from between the inner and outer filters? I can't think there would be much snow in that void...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I rerouted the air intake on my 2.3 so that it was pulling air from below the grill line...to do that I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box and affixed a down spout since there was nothing there to interfere with a a 3" tube...

However, If replacing the filter with the OEM gets you clear, it is probably less hassle and better overall for the engine...

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...Problem solved. It was in fact the Fram filter after all! I asked the ford service rep if he had ever heard of such a problem. He said not really in any rangers that he could recall...but it has been a complaint in other ford models driving in blowing snow with filters other than oem.
...I dropped the new motocraft filter in and drove through some blowing snow on the way home from work...and nothing happened! Not one misfire. Unfreakin believable! $200 spent on a coil pack, plugs and wires...cursing, almost pulling the hair out of my head from frustration...all because of a $15 air filter!:icon_surprised::icon_rofl:

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...Im curious if I ran a cold air or short ram airtake if it would misfire again in blowing snow??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals