• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixed the Cam Synchro, now EGR and O2 codes

newbietrucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 Auto
Transmission
Automatic
First off it's a bloody relief to have a new synchro/cam-sensor in there. But now I've got P0401/P0402 (egr:eek:ver/under) and O2 sensor codes (can't remember offhand... [edit: P0153]) that show up in the Pending file, at least one of them usually within 15-20 minutes of starting the vehicle. Occasionally one of them will throw up a CEL. I've cleared them and cleared the whole thing (battery off) but they still show up.

Would they have been pre-existing, but not showing up because the CMP problems meant the computer was ignoring those sensors, or did I screw something up while working on the engine ? And is there any connection, ie: can I get away with fixing just one thing instead of two.

thanks

NT

Last edited:

Runnin'OnEmpty

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger EDGE
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First off it's a bloody relief to have a new synchro/cam-sensor in there. But now I've got P0401/P0402 (egr:eek:ver/under) and O2 sensor codes (can't remember offhand... p330?) that show up in the Pending file, at least one of them usually within 15-20 minutes of starting the vehicle. Occasionally one of them will throw up a CEL. I've cleared them and cleared the whole thing (battery off) but they still show up.

Would they have been pre-existing, but not showing up because the CMP problems meant the computer was ignoring those sensors, or did I screw something up while working on the engine ? And is there any connection, ie: can I get away with fixing just one thing instead of two.

thanks

NT
NT, the P0330 code is a knock sensor code on bank 2; maybe
that's the wrong code?

The EGR high/low flow codes could be from a faulty DPFE sensor.
Check the hoses going to the sensor, and the electrical plug-in
for looseness. That'd be my best guess, and if your other code is
indeed a P0330, then it might be related to the EGR codes and
could go away when the EGR codes are resolved.......

newbietrucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 Auto
Transmission
Automatic
yep, wrong codes...

the O2 is [edit: P0153 and another one quite close to it 151 ? 152 ?], EGR is P0401 & P0402

Now before I put the cam-synchro/sensor in I was (of course) getting P0341 codes (the cam-sensor) but I wasn't getting the other codes.

Could somebody verify (or verify not) that the computer would have been ignoring the EGR and O2 sensors while the cam-sensor was broken ?

thanks

Last edited:

Runnin'OnEmpty

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger EDGE
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yep, wrong codes...

the O2 is P0353, EGR is P0401 & P0402

Now before I put the cam-synchro/sensor in I was (of course) getting P0341 codes (the cam-sensor) but I wasn't getting the other codes.

Could somebody verify (or verify not) that the computer would have been ignoring the EGR and O2 sensors while the cam-sensor was broken ?

thanks
Nope, the PCM shows every code where a fault occurs on two
consecutive start-ups.

My book says code P0353 is an ignition coil circuit malfunction.....?

How does it run?

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
I know you pulled the coil off to change out the synchro. Double back and check your three connections to the coil 2 plugs and vaccum lines. Could possibly be failing the drive cycle tests. did you drive friendly to the truck after fixing it?

newbietrucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 Auto
Transmission
Automatic
P0153 (yes, I'm a complete idiot: by way of partial explanation, since usually the codes only make it to "pending", they disappear when I come home and shut the engine off)

Acutally I had a mechanic change the synchro out (I could reach it, but couldn't do anything with my hands once they were in position)

Most of the time the engine runs fine, but sometimes roughly after a code or two has popped up (and sometimes it keeps running smoothly, no pattern that I can see so far). I drive pretty conservatively: mostly unloaded.

Runnin'OnEmpty

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger EDGE
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, P0153 is indeed an O2 sensor code: circuit slow response
bank 2 sensor 1.
A slow response code usually means the sensor is 'lazy' and
probably coated with carbon, and my guess is a new sensor
will clear the code. This could also solve the intermittant rough
running.

Maybe Kawasakiman can suggest other tests; if not then
replacing the O2 sensor would be the next step.
(First look at the sensor wiring for any burned or frayed
sections, or a loose connector).

(Bank 2 sensor 1) is the O2S on the driver's side that's closest
to the exhaust manifold.

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
Id replace the o2 sensor than check the syncro to see if its installed correctly. put one tooth past tdc compression inline with the crank sensor and look at the vane to see if its between the opening in the syncro. this installed incorrectly can contaminate sensors (especially the 1st one) and also cats. The system reads the sensor so its not a wiring prob. yup replace it.

newbietrucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 Auto
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a way a shop with a computer can look at the cam-sensor output and see if it's off a tooth maybe by comparing it to other readings ?

[post summary: had replaced broken cam-synchro & sensor and now have P0401/P0402 & P0153/P015? codes popping up in Pending and occasionally throwing a CEL at what appear to be totally random intervals: engine runs smooth sometimes and a bit rough other times; had no codes before (except the P0341: busted cmp, now fixed)]

Last edited:

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
I meant to say for setting TDC compressing go five teeth past the gap on the balancer ring= (0 Degrees TDC), than i'm pretty sure to get the syncro set perfectly, you need to to put it ant 10 degrees after TDC wich is one more tooth past the fifth tooth (sixth tooth). Than check for the vane on the syncro to be centered in the gap on top of the syncro. Of course your gonna want to take the number 1 plug out and put your finger over the hole while you turn the engine by hand clockwise to make sure your on the right stroke.

newbietrucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
3.0 Auto
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like good advice and I hope my mechanic takes it. I've started a new thread to find out (if I can) if the new codes are a result of pre-existing problems or because of a misaligned synchro.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals