• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First look at a 2024 Ranger

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
That's what they have the Maverick for now because it's so cheap.
Unless or until this one dies, I won't be getting a new Ranger unless they have a Supercab.
I simply don't need a full back seat any more (says the guy who drove Sport Tracs from 2005 to 2021) and I'd rather have a longer bed.
Otherwise I'll have to cave in and go with an Eff One Fiddy but by that time I will probably have moved. I like my Rangers and Tracs but also a One Fiddy won't fit in my garage or even in my driveway. Retaining walls on both sides, you might be able to pull it in but you won't be able to open the doors to get out.
I personally wont be buying another (newer) ford untill they get their quality control worked out.

Granted itll pry be 6+ years before im looking for a replacement for my GC, i highly doubt itll be a ford as ill be looking at vehicles made around this time period.

That being said when i need to replace my F250 ill have no issue buying something old from ford.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I personally wont be buying another (newer) ford untill they get their quality control worked out.

Granted itll pry be 6+ years before im looking for a replacement for my GC, i highly doubt itll be a ford as ill be looking at vehicles made around this time period.

That being said when i need to replace my F250 ill have no issue buying something old from ford.
For me Ford's quality kinda peaked with my 2002 Ranger and even then it had rust repair on the tailgate seam and door seams before the warranty was up.
I put 212,000 miles on my 2008 Sport Trac but the trans crapped out at 132k and a lot of front hub and bearing assemblies but I think that was mostly due to improper installation by the dealer.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
We buy around 70-80 new vehicles a year for our fleet. Ford currently won’t sell us Rangers, Escapes, or Broncos.
they cant turn ya all fruity pants at once......you have to gently slippery slope you monkeys on da coast...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
they cant turn ya all fruity pants at once......you have to gently slippery slope you monkeys on da coast...
We can still buy F250s and F550s… that’s all I care about in my shop. I’m in charge of the truck shop. All the little d!(k stuff like the Escapes are cars shop junk.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
From what I’m reading, it seems quality control is going down the crapper for most, if not all of the vehicle brands out there. Some are still better buys than others but the margin between the good and bad is narrowing.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
From what I’m reading, it seems quality control is going down the crapper for most, if not all of the vehicle brands out there. Some are still better buys than others but the margin between the good and bad is narrowing.
My cousin owns a repair shop and used car lot. Because of Covid related parts and labor shortages he advises not to buy a 2020-2021 anything from anyone, they're all steaming piles. He won't touch them at auction. Luckily my Ranger was built pre Covid.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My cousin owns a repair shop and used car lot. Because of Covid related parts and labor shortages he advises not to buy a 2020-2021 anything from anyone, they're all steaming piles. He won't touch them at auction. Luckily my Ranger was built pre Covid.
Yeah, mine is pre-Covid too. Thankfully, it was late enough that the bad part issue in the transmission wasn’t an issue. I forget what it was but there was a part that wasn’t machined right from the supplier and a bunch of them had to be replaced either on the assembly line or as a recall.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The reliability of all brands is taking a hit because of all the vehicles having so much electronics. Depending on trim level, a new F-150 has between 18 to 30 different computer modules. They are nearly all on the CanBus so they expect to talk with each other. Even the new vehicles have codes for communication issues between modules, just think what it will be like after corrosion gets involved. If you look at what is failing, and what the recalls are for, they are largely for computer issues - either hardware or software. There are literally millions of lines of code to run all those modules, and it is impossible for any manufacturer to test all the possible combinations of variables that affect all those modules and sensors. Most of those modules have the VIN saved in them, so you cannot even swap a taillight from one vehicle to another without having a whole list of codes until you update the VIN in the taillight (which takes a dealer and their computer). I'm used to driving 10-20 year old vehicles (sometimes even 30) but I am not at all optimistic that these new vehicles will be functioning after 15 years, given all the possible failure points. This is not a Ford issue - many of the other brands are way worse - because none of the auto manufacturers make their own computer modules.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
All that integrated electronics in in there because a good portion of the population wants all those creature comforts and gadgets. They don’t think about all the potential failure points all that crap creates until they have to pay to fix it. A lump sum repair cost hurts a lot more than paying for the original equipment via a vehicle loan with monthly payments.

Meanwhile, those of us who don’t want it have to eat it because of what the market in general wants. You know, the same people who don’t even know how to do basic maintenance on their vehicles, let alone a major repair.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The reliability of all brands is taking a hit because of all the vehicles having so much electronics. Depending on trim level, a new F-150 has between 18 to 30 different computer modules. They are nearly all on the CanBus so they expect to talk with each other. Even the new vehicles have codes for communication issues between modules, just think what it will be like after corrosion gets involved.
What do you mean imagine???
It’s been years now that I’ve been working on CAN systems in Mack and international plow trucks. “Green” wires (corroded) are commonplace in my shop. We see it 2-3 times a week.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I thought they were suppose to make the front end look like the bronco?

I think I'm going to pick up a 95ish f150-f350 and just redo the truck even if it has 250k miles on it like I have been finding just use what motir and trans I want. I dont what 30 plus computers going bad....

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They wanted to make it look more like the F-150. I think they succeeded at that. I just wish we actually had some to sell...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Too expensive, too many doors, and the bed is too short...I like the 7 foot bed on my 87 Ranger...a 6-1/2 foot bed and regular cab or extended cab would be acceptable, but that 4 door useless 4 foot bed crap has got to stop, as well as the astronomical prices.

I picked up a 99 F250 Super Duty earlier this year with 184k on it, overall in pretty good condition, I did the spark plugs and coils right after I picked it up as it had a misfire, which given the plug and coil conditions someone skipped doing any of that maintenance LOL...and after doing it myself, I can see why...that V10 is crammed in there and makes getting to stuff a bit of a chore LOL. It has the 6 foot 10 inch bed, wanted a manual transmission and long bed, but trying to find one isn't very easy, especially in good condition, and not with 300k+ miles on it LOL. Couldn't pass up the $4500 asking price...trucks around here like this are going for $10k+ in good condition and the truck has new tires on it, and the 5th wheel rails in the bed already too...just need to find a slider hitch for it, and a gooseneck hitch...don't have either, and don't have trailers that need them, but would be useful occasionally now that I have a truck capable of towing.

So, my trucks get used for hauling stuff, so a longer bed is a must, and I don't haul people so the crew cab isn't needed either...the F250 I picked up is the super-cab, which is nice I can throw tools, groceries, etc. back there, or fold the seat down and sleep back there if I needed to.

Love my 87 Ranger, but if Ford can pull their heads out of their asses and build a regular old Ford Ranger work truck with a 6-1/2 to 7 foot bed, and regular or extended cab they might get me interested, but otherwise, I'll keep my Ranger...its now my daily driver as I sold my 08 Explorer due to the recurring ABS control module failure mess, and the part is NLA, so I got rid of it this time rather than trying to get it fixed again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Love my 87 Ranger, but if Ford can pull their heads out of their asses and build a regular old Ford Ranger work truck with a 6-1/2 to 7 foot bed, and regular or extended cab they might get me interested, but otherwise, I'll keep my Ranger...its now my daily driver as I sold my 08 Explorer due to the recurring ABS control module failure mess, and the part is NLA, so I got rid of it this time rather than trying to get it fixed again.
They did offer a Supercab with a 6' bed, dropped for 2024 though. They were not a super common configuration.

I need cab, I need bed... I have a F-150.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Too expensive, too many doors, and the bed is too short...I like the 7 foot bed on my 87 Ranger...a 6-1/2 foot bed and regular cab or extended cab would be acceptable, but that 4 door useless 4 foot bed crap has got to stop, as well as the astronomical prices.

I picked up a 99 F250 Super Duty earlier this year with 184k on it, overall in pretty good condition, I did the spark plugs and coils right after I picked it up as it had a misfire, which given the plug and coil conditions someone skipped doing any of that maintenance LOL...and after doing it myself, I can see why...that V10 is crammed in there and makes getting to stuff a bit of a chore LOL. It has the 6 foot 10 inch bed, wanted a manual transmission and long bed, but trying to find one isn't very easy, especially in good condition, and not with 300k+ miles on it LOL. Couldn't pass up the $4500 asking price...trucks around here like this are going for $10k+ in good condition and the truck has new tires on it, and the 5th wheel rails in the bed already too...just need to find a slider hitch for it, and a gooseneck hitch...don't have either, and don't have trailers that need them, but would be useful occasionally now that I have a truck capable of towing.

So, my trucks get used for hauling stuff, so a longer bed is a must, and I don't haul people so the crew cab isn't needed either...the F250 I picked up is the super-cab, which is nice I can throw tools, groceries, etc. back there, or fold the seat down and sleep back there if I needed to.

Ok, so you’re saying the new Ranger isnt for you… cool. That doesn’t mean their head is in their ass. That means they build a vehicle that doesn’t fit your needs. They do that because they don’t sell enough. They built a supercab/ long bed from ‘19 - ‘23…. Did you buy one??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals